View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 05:23 AM
Mousie
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MTS
See, this is what happens when I'm on hold FOREVER!

I was right. The blocks in your friend's quilt (regardless of what size you call it) are 6" finished.

The two plain white borders (on each side of the outside triangle border) are each 3" finished. So always half the size of whatever your block size will be. That comes out to exactly 96" square.

Here are some measurements if you were to adjust the finished block size:

5.5" = 88" x 88"
5" = 80" x 80"
4.5" = 72"x72"
4" = 64"x64"

Just multiply the block size x 16 and you'll get your measurements.

As you can see, the blocks are either HST or plain, with the exception of the middle block on each side of the triangle border.

I would definitely adjust the block size if I were making it for a smaller bed. Just leaving a border or two off doesn't scale it down, and it will be quite overpowering with the same size image on a smaller bed. JMHO.

You'll have to decide about the other issues - tucking, pillow, platform or bedposts, additional borders - yourself. ;-)

Good luck!
Yessss!!! and here it is!
I bow to your "math-i-ness"! woo hoo!
I agree, a nice pattern/block has to be reduced or the look is overpowering.
I like old quilts, but some of them had chunky sized blocks that aren't that appealing to me in those sizes.
My mom gave me many older patterns and I kept them hoping to figure out how to re-size them. woo hoo! thanks :D
So I can take a six inch block to a copier machine and reduce and then multiply the finished size to make sure that when multiplied it will come out the size I want?
Doesn't seem so daunting a task this way. niiiice! :XD:

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-22-2017 at 06:21 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS