View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 05:40 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Mousie
So I can take a six inch block to a copier machine and reduce and then multiply the finished size to make sure that when multiplied it will come out the size I want?
Well, you know, you gotta think about this and that. Maybe.

It really depends on what kind of block it is.

In this case, we're dealing with a HST block. Easy. There are a gazillion ways to make HST blocks. As I wrote in my first post on this thread, I prefer the "start with oversize squares, make HST, and trim down to unfinished size" method.

So I would take the finished size, add 1.25+ inches and make the HST, then trim. Of course, depending on your color plan, you have to first figure out how many of each color combo you need.

So there's really nothing to reduce on a copier in this case.

If you're not mathematically inclined, or even if you are, I wouldn't reduce a block into unmeasurable pieces - those that can't easily be cut with a ruler. Unless you intend to do the whole thing with templates. Shoot me, please, if I ever say I'm going to do that. ;-) (Could do it with PP, but that's a whole other issue.)

For instance, if you have a 9" nine-patch block, and decide you want to work with 7" blocks instead (because you want 70" across your quilt), that's just going to create a whole bunch of unhappiness. However, making the blocks 7.5" instead, one less block, and adjusting the border widths would be a much happier and satisfying experience.

Still, I always prefer to work out the math rather than reducing it on a machine.

You just always have to figure out the grid of the block and the quilt. As in this quilt, it was easy to count across to see there were the equivalent of 16 units - 96"/16 blocks = 6" blocks.

It's really easy math - regardless of all the "I don't have a masters in theoretical mathematics so I can't figure this out" doomsayers.

If all else fails, find a bunch of 6th graders. They'll be able to help. ;-)