View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 07:42 AM
sarahrachel

I asked if I should birth or bind a baby quilt and got quite a few comments asking what birthing was so I'm going to try to explain it. This is my first tutorial so bear with me.

I made a baby burp cloth for this, but the same thing goes for quilts. There will be 8 pics

start with the backing laying face up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237324[/ATTACH]

then lay the top face down
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237325[/ATTACH]

add the batting, all 3 layers should be the same size, but I can't measure very well,
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237326[/ATTACH]

sew around the outside leaving a big enough gap to pull your quilt through. I backstitch at the beginning and the end so the stitches don't pull out. trim if you need to so it's not super thick on the edges and don't forget the corners
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237327[/ATTACH]

a close up of the gap, I don't trim near the gap so I have something to fold under and sew
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237328[/ATTACH]

reach between the quilt top and backing and find the farthest corner and pull through. Keep pulling corners or side through until the whole quilt has come through the gap. Use a chopstick or your fingers to push the corners into place so they're not cut off
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237330[/ATTACH]

the hole. Tuck the top over the batting and fold in the back and sew closed, either by hand or by machine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237331[/ATTACH]

you are now ready to quilt. It's the top right corner where the hole was. I sewed the hole shut by machine and continued around the outside of the burp cloth. I hope this was helpful. any questions, just ask!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237332[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-237318.jpe   attachment-237319.jpe   attachment-237320.jpe   attachment-237321.jpe   attachment-237322.jpe  

attachment-237324.jpe   attachment-237325.jpe   attachment-237326.jpe