Old 08-06-2011, 08:03 PM
kiffie2413

Hi,
I am a newbie here on the board, but been quilting a while. I learned hand quilting a loooong time ago...about 3 years ago I joined a quilting group locally, and they all thought I was "toony" by not machine quilting, too...so, off I went to try that! I can tell you what I have learned with the process, that I wish I had asked more questions, or learned sooner...I started with a Singer I had around just for household sewing...decided I wanted a computerized machine, went to the Brother CS6000i...after a bit, decided I really wanted to have auto thread cutting and a knee-lift...so got the Brother PC-420...both of the Brothers are great for general sewing, and piecing quilts, decorative applique, stitching, etc. Of course the PC-420 may be considered a "step up", so I have been using it most of the time...But, when I went to free motion quilt (fmq), it was not going so well for me...I really found I needed a machine with a larger harp (throat area) and one that was just more substantial...so, now I have just received the Brother PQ1500S, it is a straight stitch only machine, but has auto thread cut, knee-lift, up to 1500 stitches a minute, and from what my research shows, is really good for quilting, both fmq and straight line or stitch in the ditch...so far it has been awesome for fmq, and also for just straight quilt in the ditch for me...so, long story short, I think it really depends on what you want to do...I feel like I do need the PC-420 for decorative stitch, zig zag, etc...but for actual quilting, I think the industrial PQ1500S is best...and, for me, the cost of both machines is less than what I had researched and would have paid for just 1 machine that could do all things, AND have a larger harp area. As the others have stated, it really IS a personal preference, too...I hope some of my long rambling may help you, tho...good luck! And I know you will get more help here, this board is great!! :-D