Old 08-06-2011, 08:21 PM
roselady

I was in our local guild many years ago and I quit mostly for family reasons, but also because even after years of participating, I would end up sitting alone. Three years ago a friend asked me to go with her, she had joined in the years I was gone. I joined again, and I enjoy it, people are friendly but they still don't included newcomers very well. Last year I decided to get more involved, do my part, and see if I could really feel like I belonged. I was in charge of refreshments for the whole year. At last months meeting I couldn't find a seat, and as I walked around looking, not one person asked me to sit at their table. I am not saying that they are not friendly because they are, but they are having such a good time visiting with each other that they are oblivious to anyone needing to be included. I think everyone thinks someone else is my "sit with" friend. I enjoy the programs, the ladies have been very complementary about the quilts I've shown, but I don't know if I will keep going after this year.