Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Guilds - What are your experiences? >

Quilt Guilds - What are your experiences?

Quilt Guilds - What are your experiences?

Old 08-06-2011, 01:48 PM

I feel so bad for those of you who had bad experiences with qg's. My guild is one of the wonderful ones. We start off with show & tell and then try to learn something new. We do community projects when we can (usually once a year) and evryone has something to teach others. We go on little day jaunts once or twice a year and have a potluck lunch around Christmas. Have about 20 ladies in ours but most of the time only 8-10 show up at meetings. Wish you all could come. You would be very welcome.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:52 PM

Years ago when my son was little, I joined our state guild. They even talked me into being corresponding secretary (which is a joke because I'm mailing impaired!). I had the desire, but not the time, so I dropped out. Fast forward a few years, and a dear online friend moved to my area. We wanted a quilt group, but knew many of our friends would not do guild meetings. So, we started with just lunch and show and tell. Then progressed to a group project at a members house. Now we meet once a month in a quilt shop classroom for potluck and sewing. We have 2 rules: #1. If you tell us you are coming and life gets in the way, call someone. We will worry. #2. you NEVER have to do the group project. No questions. We have all levels of quilters with varied interests. About 15 members. Even a 91 yr old lady who works as a greeter at Walmart! (I want to BE her when I grow up! lol)

now I"m also back in the state quild. I am in a general quilting chapter and the long arm chapter. I LOVE the long arm group! They are a smaller group and they speak long arm! lolol
Old 08-06-2011, 08:20 PM

There are 3 different ones that I know of around my area...and all 3 are so different. I visited each, and the last one is the one that "fit" for me...the gals and I are actually like sisters, it has become a very special group for me.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:21 PM

I was in our local guild many years ago and I quit mostly for family reasons, but also because even after years of participating, I would end up sitting alone. Three years ago a friend asked me to go with her, she had joined in the years I was gone. I joined again, and I enjoy it, people are friendly but they still don't included newcomers very well. Last year I decided to get more involved, do my part, and see if I could really feel like I belonged. I was in charge of refreshments for the whole year. At last months meeting I couldn't find a seat, and as I walked around looking, not one person asked me to sit at their table. I am not saying that they are not friendly because they are, but they are having such a good time visiting with each other that they are oblivious to anyone needing to be included. I think everyone thinks someone else is my "sit with" friend. I enjoy the programs, the ladies have been very complementary about the quilts I've shown, but I don't know if I will keep going after this year.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by roselady
I was in our local guild many years ago and I quit mostly for family reasons, but also because even after years of participating, I would end up sitting alone. Three years ago a friend asked me to go with her, she had joined in the years I was gone. I joined again, and I enjoy it, people are friendly but they still don't included newcomers very well. Last year I decided to get more involved, do my part, and see if I could really feel like I belonged. I

was in charge of refreshments for the whole year. At last months meeting I couldn't find a seat, and as I walked around looking, not one person asked me to sit at their table. I am not saying that they are not friendly because they are, but they are having such a good time visiting with each other that they are oblivious to anyone needing to be included. I think everyone thinks someone else is my "sit with" friend. I enjoy the programs, the ladies have been very complementary about the quilts I've shown, but I don't know if I will keep going after this year.
I have a few friends and try to sit with them. Some times there is no chair available so I sit where there is a space and talk to others. Some times I feel alone too. But I make sure that I get there early enough to sit where I want not just where I can get a seat.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by roselady
... not one person asked me to sit at their table.
This just makes me sad. I think manners are not taught any more. My mom taught me to always be attentive toward guests/friends. Evidently your 'friends' did not have a mom like I did. If after a year and treatment like this, I would certainly be inclined to not keep on either. Perhaps you should form your own guild! :-)
Old 08-10-2011, 07:14 PM

I joined a guild about 4 years ago and have loved it. I have taken advantage of the classes and workshops offfered and have learned a lot. I also got involved and have made some wonderful quilting buddies! Give it a try!
Old 08-12-2011, 03:00 PM

I love the Guild/Group I belong to we are like a big family. We meet weekly, and bring our own projects to work on. There is a variety of levels of skill among the 40 members and there is always someone to learn from. It is also a wonderful social experience.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:27 AM

It's been pretty good. I just moved and need to find a new one, so I guess I may have a different experience but am hoping I find the perfect one for me!