Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad quilt shop experiences

I have two - First when I go to my usual quilt shops, I am always treated very nicely, but, when my 24 year old daughter (who looks about 16) goes in without me she is snubbed. There was one shop in particular that was the worst offender. So during a Quilters Run (while the shop was very full), I told them why I never shop there anymore. Three other ladies came up and told me they were glad I had spoken up.
    Second story - I bought $53.20 worth of merchandise. I gave the lady $60.20. She started to give me change of $6.80. When I told her I had given her 20 cents, she stood there and practically called me a liar! I did go in again the next week for something and she apologized, but still left a bad taste for that store.
    Your stories?

I have been very fortunate and have never had a bad experience in any quilt shop.

Blog Entries
    The complaint I have for the few quilt stores in my area is the blank stare I get when I ask for a tool or product that is new on the market. I get this "I've never heard of that" reply. And get the same response six months later when I ask if they have it yet. Quilt shops that don't keep up with the latest are not worth my time, I rather buy online.

So far I have been fortunate and have not had a bad experience in a LQS. And I do some travelling and have been happy in all my experiences. It pains me when "clerks" don't take pains with customers, but give them. Don't they realize why they are in business?

Blog Entries
    I bought a bunch of fabric and the owner (who knew me) said: Please tell me that you don't plan to use those in the same quilt. (which I planned to do) She then asked what I planned to name the quilt "Nightmare on Elm Street?" Not the most encouraging comment for a newbee quilter. She is a quiltzilla and thankfully no longer in business - rude, cnatancerous, useless, mean B****.

I took my quilt back when it was done and I made her eat her words. HA!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I bought a bunch of fabric and the owner (who knew me) said: Please tell me that you don't plan to use those in the same quilt. (which I planned to do) She then asked what I planned to name the quilt "Nightmare on Elm Street?" Not the most encouraging comment for a newbee quilter. She is a quiltzilla and thankfully no longer in business - rude, cnatancerous, useless, mean B****.

I took my quilt back when it was done and I made her eat her words. HA!
    WOW! Can't believe she actually said that out loud to you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by henryparrish76
    I'm sure she thought she was being funny. Here is a pic of "Nightmare" (The only quilt I ever named - lol)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I'm sure she thought she was being funny. Here is a pic of "Nightmare" (The only quilt I ever named - lol)
    I love it! That is a lovely quilt. Glad you made her eat her words and that she is no longer in business. I do not understand the need that some people have to diss someone else's work.

I really like that! The colors all work together great! That lady on top of everything else has no vision!

I don't like the hancocks we have here, not very friendly.

Never around here! I went into one shop about an half hour away and was chatting with the clerk. Found out she is from the same tiny town, on the other side of the state, where my DH grew up. They went to high school together. LOL Small World! Wish you had shops like the ones here! Sorry for your experience!

Love your quilt. some people just can't be nice.

those colors are perfect together. Nice choice and I love the pattern too.

My LQS and the Hancock Fabrics here are both wonderful. I guess I'm just lucky.

Blog Entries
    Thanks - contrary to its name, it has provided me with countless hours of uninterrupted sleep. lol

This is slightly off topic but related to the purchase of a sewing machine. The sales person was surprised that I wanted to "test drive" the machine which btw was without bobbin. I found a bobbin and was getting ready to thread the machine when he sort of pushed me away (excuse me Mam but that's my job). I still see him yanking out about 2 feet of bobbin thread. He licked the end and then he tried to PUSH the thread up the feed dogs. Externally I was watching with great interest. Internally I was howling. Even DH remembers that one.

Banned
    Haven't really had a bad experience, per se...just sometimes in some places they act as though I'm dumber than dirt (and I'm not quite that dumb...) But there's not a lot of choices around here and I just go out of my way to be super nice and it seems to be paying off.....

I think here in Florida, we have one of the rudest quilt shops known to needlework. I go back once a year or so, expecting them to improve, but they never have. I have been ignored, belittled, and given dirty looks while I waited to have fabric cut. How dare I interrupt the sales associate's personal call!!??!!

My meager purchase was certainly not as important as her pearls of wisdom, bragging to someone how she ejoys being selfish, does not have to share anything, never has, never will, and how only low-class people share bathrooms at home. On top of it, the prices there are always a couple yards higher than the other area shops. It is lovely fabric, but not worth it.

I guess my worst experience was actually with another customer in the store. When I walked into the shop, the woman saw me and clutched her purse to her chest as though she thought I was there to rob the place. I guess being a man made me out of place and a curiosity of sorts.

Blog Entries
    I have had ladies in quilt shops act like I don't know what it is I am looking for when I say I am buying for myself. Or they give me dirty looks as if how dare I encroach on their quilting territory. I just pay them no mind.

My LQS made a point of learning my name (as well as my daughter's name who doesn't sew but often comes with me to "look" at the quilts). She went there at Christmas (without mom) and purchased a gift card for me -- they knew exactly who it was for!! And no, I don't camp out there but maybe go once a month. :D :D

cjc
    Here's one for you. I went with my sister-in-law to a quilt shop down the road from her house, about 3 hours from us. It's a shop that advertises in most quilt magazine and if I told you the name of it..alot of you would probably recognize it. Anyway, we did get to the shop late in the afternoon. About 4:30 and the shop closed at 5. They went behind us, shutting the lights out in the rooms as we left them, rushing us out. Needless to say, they didn't get any of my money.

My sister and I went to shop that we have been to before, this one day, it was like they were too blessed busy to notice us. It isn't as though the shop was busy. In fact I think there was just one other customer aside from us. We did not buy anything that day. After we walked out the door, my sister said something to the effect that she was not too happy with them. We have not been back. I buy mostly online now.

Thanks - contrary to its name, it has provided me with countless hours of uninterrupted sleep. lol

This is slightly off topic but related to the purchase of a sewing machine. The sales person was surprised that I wanted to "test drive" the machine which btw was without bobbin. I found a bobbin and was getting ready to thread the machine when he sort of pushed me away (excuse me Mam but that's my job). I still see him yanking out about 2 feet of bobbin thread. He licked the end and then he tried to PUSH the thread up the feed dogs. Externally I was watching with great interest. Internally I was howling. Even DH remembers that one.
    ROFL That is just too funny. I told dh and his comment was "and he was the salesman?"
    My question...did you purchase the machine? I think I would've walk out to "think about it" and the buy the machine somewhere else. What kind of support did they offer?

Mad, that is an unbelievable story. What a bi...!!! I think your quilt is fantastic! I love the "quiltzilla" title...will have to remember that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Moonpi
    I think here in Florida, we have one of the rudest quilt shops known to needlework. I go back once a year or so, expecting them to improve, but they never have. I have been ignored, belittled, and given dirty looks while I waited to have fabric cut. How dare I interrupt the sales associate's personal call!!??!!

My meager purchase was certainly not as important as her pearls of wisdom, bragging to someone how she ejoys being selfish, does not have to share anything, never has, never will, and how only low-class people share bathrooms at home. On top of it, the prices there are always a couple yards higher than the other area shops. It is lovely fabric, but not worth it.
    I hope you asked to use her bathroom

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast