Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bad quilt shop experiences >

Bad quilt shop experiences

Bad quilt shop experiences

Old 01-20-2010, 09:34 AM

Well, I'm a new quilter and went into our little local shop here looking for a solid Christmas green type of fabric. I had been in the shop previously with my DSIL who is an experienced quilter and was treated okay.

Well anyway, I asked the owner if she had any solid greens and she just looked at me like I was a bug or something and very loudly proclaimed that "quilters never use solids!" and that she would never waste her money carrying them!

I was shocked by her response but found the courage to ask her if she thought I could find something at Joann's. Then she bellows "I wouldn't know about that! I haven't been in a Joann's for years and wouldn't even know what they carry!".

Yikes! It turns out she's quite infamous in these parts for her unique personality and lack of customer service.

It is unfortunate that in a hobby that encompasses people from so many socio-enconomic areas that there are so many "quilt snobs" out there. Some of use have less money to spend, some of us are just learning and ask dumb questions. I quilt because I like it, find it relaxing and love to give homemade gifts to people I love...it is just that simple! I don't feel quilting makes me better than anyone else!

I was a counted cross stitcher for more years than I care to recall and was always thrilled to pass on and share with newbies.

I think quilt shop owners need to wake up! There are soooo many shops to choose from, especially when you factor in the interne! Why go where you're treated rudely and like a complete idiot?

Sorry, if this turned into a rant :oops:
Old 01-20-2010, 11:11 AM

There are no dumb questions - only way to learn is to ask. Don't know about every one else out there, but sometimes a solid color is ALL that will work for me in an area.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Marjpf
There are no dumb questions - only way to learn is to ask. Don't know about every one else out there, but sometimes a solid color is ALL that will work for me in an area.
AMEN!! Quilting sister. I use solids a bit in almost all my quilts b/c I tend to use lots of prints so sometimes my eyes need a break from lots of different prints and patterns.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:32 PM

Well, at least now we all know where the quilt police work. :roll: Who is to say that we can't use solid colors in our quilts? Or all solid if we want to. Or who says we can't ask questions? Oh well, shun those stores and find another, much better quilt shop.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:49 PM

Peggy (Candela59) and I went to the coast with our qubbies, sister and her hubby...They had heard of this local snag we have here 4 hours away in Newport!!!!!!!!!! Also at the quilt shop we stopped at in Florence.

Says a lot for word of mouth advertising!
Old 01-20-2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by cindyg
There is a quilt shop near me that is owned by a lady with cats. The cats live there in the shop and they walk and lay around on everything ...
We have a store in the area that has a cat, too. It lives there. The shop was on the shop hop route the last time I did the hop. As soon as I got my card stamped, I was out of there, as allergies run rampant in our family. If I had brought home fabric from there, it would have been disaster! However, from what I saw, the shop was cleaner than the one you describe.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by cindyg
There is a quilt shop near me that is owned by a lady with cats. The cats live there in the shop and they walk and lay around on everything from the counter top to bolts of fabric to a quilt that's loaded and being quilted on their long arm. It doesn't smell pleasant and there is cat hair everywhere....it looks like she has never dusted or vacuumed and this applies even to the notions wall. I am very allergic to cats so I can't stay in that shop for more than 5 minutes. Needless to say I never go there.
I know some people think it is wonderful for the owners to allow their animals into their quilt stores but I am highly against it. I love animals and at one time owned a small ranch. However, I am very, very allergic to cats and as such, any LQS with a cat hanging around means I am unable to shop there. A lot of people have allergies to animals and it isn't smart business sense to allow pets into a store. JMO.

Candela - Pbbtt! You should tell her that Keepsake Quilting, a wonderful source for fabrics, books, and notions, sells a lot of solids. Heck, solids are used all the time in miniature quilts and for Amish quilts, not to mention in everyday quilting. I've been collecting solids for years and I'd have a lot more of them if I'd quit dipping into my stash. Evidently the owner doesn't know what she is talking about. And sweety, there is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION! The only dumb question is the one that is never asked. ;)
Old 02-20-2011, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I bought a bunch of fabric and the owner (who knew me) said: Please tell me that you don't plan to use those in the same quilt. (which I planned to do) She then asked what I planned to name the quilt "Nightmare on Elm Street?" Not the most encouraging comment for a newbee quilter. She is a quiltzilla and thankfully no longer in business - rude, cnatancerous, useless, mean B****.

I took my quilt back when it was done and I made her eat her words. HA!
wow sounds like she certainly had NO business being in the business !! LOL Good Riddance to Bad Rubbish I say !!
Old 02-21-2011, 03:05 PM

ENOUGH!!!! Every one has has a bad experience at some time or other in a quilt shop. Sometimes you just get the staff having a not so good day or perhaps they are reacting to your attitude. Get over it and quit whinning. This seems to be a re-occurring topic for posting.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:44 PM

Thank you, bigsister.