Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bad quilt shop experiences >

Bad quilt shop experiences

Bad quilt shop experiences

Old 01-15-2010, 05:36 AM

Here it's been pretty good, so far.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:40 AM

Sorry to hear your bad quilt shop story.
I have my own. I've been dreaming for a new sewing machine for a couple of years. Last summer I decided I was going to get one. I got my checkbook and found a quilt shop that sold the brand of machines. It's an hour away. My daughter rode with me through a few detours and downpours. Once inside, we waited 20 minutes to be acknowledged. Then, when I told her what machine I wanted she said it wasn't top of the line. I knew that! I asked to test it out and that was a problem, but she would try to get it set up for me. She acted very cold towards me. It wasn't just me being overly sensitive, my daughter was very uncomfortable with this, too. I did get to test the machine and it was all I had hoped it would be. But, I thanked her and left with my money and the satisfaction of knowing I never had to deal with this store again.
I went into another quilt store last year an hour away and left within minutes. How dare I interrupt there little quilting bee to purchase fabric. They didn't get any of my money either.

I suppose with the shops around here if you are in the crowd you have no problems. As an outsider, don't try to cross their lines.

Sorry to rant, but it makes me upset.

I'm with those that said they don't like to hear the rantings of employees. In the old days, I was taught that the customer was to get my full attention. I always go back to another lesson I was taught. That I might be the only person that the customer might have contact with that day and I want to let it be a good one.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:47 AM
JJs
Banned

Have you been to a quilt shop that the clerk follows you around because they just know you are out to rip them off?
Granted, this particular shop had been stolen from - whole bolts of fabric slipped off the boards - but it wasn't me, and I really resent turning around and the clerk is right in my face watching me like a hawk...
Yes, I spent money there, no, I will not go back....
Old 01-15-2010, 06:39 AM

My experience wasn't so bad, but it made me mad at the time. I was auditioning black and white fabrics for a quilt, went to one of the LQS, saw some i kinda liked, so i bought a 1/4 yard cut to see how it went with what i had. When i took to the register, the woman there said, OHHHHHHHHH last of the big spenders huh? It just rubbed me the wrong way LOL, i have since gotten over it. but i did go to another store and bought their fabric for the quilt.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Thanks - contrary to its name, it has provided me with countless hours of uninterrupted sleep. lol

This is slightly off topic but related to the purchase of a sewing machine. The sales person was surprised that I wanted to "test drive" the machine which btw was without bobbin. I found a bobbin and was getting ready to thread the machine when he sort of pushed me away (excuse me Mam but that's my job). I still see him yanking out about 2 feet of bobbin thread. He licked the end and then he tried to PUSH the thread up the feed dogs. Externally I was watching with great interest. Internally I was howling. Even DH remembers that one.
When I took my Pfaff into where I bought it for it's 10,000 mile check up I was given a long lecture about the thread I was using and the care I was taking of the machine. They then said that I was not worthy of such a machine. I let them do the check up since it was free that time, but have since found a new shop to work on it.
2 feet of bobbin thread!!! Don't they realize that thread is a valuable thing?
Old 01-15-2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
My LQS made a point of learning my name (as well as my daughter's name who doesn't sew but often comes with me to "look" at the quilts). She went there at Christmas (without mom) and purchased a gift card for me -- they knew exactly who it was for!! And no, I don't camp out there but maybe go once a month. :D :D
You sure found a keeper of a shop! Wish you weren't in hiding so I could go there.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:41 AM
cjc

There are 2 shops that are in a small town about 30 miles away from us. The one that has been there the longest, I hardly ever go into because they aren't very helpful. But the new one is great! My husband works in that town and to save myself a trip when I need something specific, I can send him into the shop with a swatch and they will help him get the fabric..Then tell me all about how funny he is the next time I go in. That's service. lol
Old 01-15-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
He licked the end and then he tried to PUSH the thread up the feed dogs. Externally I was watching with great interest. Internally I was howling. Even DH remembers that one.
:lol:
That is hillarious. I'm not sure that I could have kept from laughing out loud.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:59 AM

To MadQuilter:
Good for you ...! and happy to hear the Quiltzilla is no longer in business, NO surprise there!! What an unbelievably RUDE & UNhelpful thing to say to a customer.

I've encountered some QS owners (& employees) like that over the years. Fortunately they are the minority. I've been to a lot of shops on our vacation trips and 95% have been good experiences.
One LQS we had years ago was NOT a warm, welcoming place - they weren't interested in helping you unless you spent hundreds of $$$ at a time. They went out of business pretty quickly!
I taught classes & worked PT at another LQS. Helping NEW quilters & our students in a positive, ENCOURAGING way was the BEST part of my job! I like to think that I helped quite a few newbie quilters on their way to making lots of great quilts. :)
Old 01-15-2010, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

how she ejoys being selfish, does not have to share anything, never has, never will, and how only low-class people share bathrooms at home.

And yet she is there working for a paycheck.

:roll: :roll: