Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bad quilt shop experiences >

Bad quilt shop experiences

Bad quilt shop experiences

Old 01-18-2010, 06:00 AM

one thing I have noticed about LQS is the little "in" groups. I don't know why but it seems to be a norm with the owners. If your not buying your ignored. I have one about 20 minutes away where this is not true and love going there...
Old 01-18-2010, 09:31 AM

My favorite quilt shop here , ya walk in the door and the owner says hi and points out all the fabrics on sale and what is where and says let me know if you need help. Then she goes back to cutting fabrics. As she is always cutting fabrics lol Shes great! And as she is cutting my fabrics she will chat and let me know what is coming in and what she has ordered.... just a really homey and friendly place to shop
Old 01-18-2010, 10:26 AM

Seems like young people these days can't do math. I was at a fast food restuarant yesterday. Bill was $4.16. I gave the guy a $5 bill and 2 dimes. He asked me what the change was because he couldn't figure it out himself!
:roll:
Old 01-18-2010, 10:32 AM

When I worked ( years ago)I never had a problem with giving change. But one time I had a young lady come to work and I had to train her for the register. She just couldn't get it into her mind as to how to make change. She lasted 2 days and quit. I think the registers now make it so that a person doesn't really have to know how to make change and its just sad that many can't
Old 01-18-2010, 01:58 PM

My only complaint is kits. They either didn't have enough of the fabric that of course you can't get anymore because the LQS is out or they are way overpriced. If you buy the fabric separately is will cost you $15 but if you buy it in a kit it is $30. I don't get it.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:08 PM

I work in a specialty store. I am one of those clerks you describe. I am sure I have given that "blank stare" when a guest asks for an item we either don't carry, never heard of, or isn't accurately described. We are expected to be experts in sewing, quilting, knitting, crochet, felting, upholstering, embroidering, beading, and even weaving. Give us a break please. We can't possibly know everything.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:10 PM

Good for you. Since I work in a specialty shop, I would never comment on a person's choice of fabric. I do, however, suggest color options that would complement each other.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:21 PM

I work at one of the larger chain stores. Our problem is that the corporate office does not give us the budget to have adequate staff on hand. Customers do not get the attention they deserve and find themselves waiting longer than they need to in the cutting line or at the register. Please don't blame the clerks. I can't tell you how many times we have been yelled at for providing poor customer service. It's corporate America trying to make a profit. :)
Old 01-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JackieG
I work at one of the larger chain stores. Our problem is that the corporate office does not give us the budget to have adequate staff on hand.
I think a lot of the complaints have been about INCONSIDERATE employees.

When I go to a store and I ask a clerk for something, I am perfectly willing to hear her or him out. I have had associates handle me in a variety of ways:
"I am sorry, we do not carry that item"
"We do not carry that item, have you tried [names competition]"
"What is the thing you are asking about? I have never heard of such a thing"
"Could you hold on for just a second, I need to ask [someone else]"
My favorite: "If I were a [fill in the blank] I'd probably be ...and walks to the area to help me find the part.

I would not expect everyone to know everything about the store. But I would expect that they know how to deal with the customers when they don't know.

Waiting in line when the staff is limited is no problem either. HOWEVER, when the associates are standing around shooting the breeze, or someone makes a big deal about not getting their break. Or my favorite, complain about the management in front of the customers...... that's when I get upset.

Sorry that you get to listen to the brunt of complaints that your fellow employees - the slackers - got started.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:13 PM

Love the Fabric Shack - have good experiences there and others in area