Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your Experiences Quilting on Embroidery Machine Using Snap-Hoop or Magna-Quilter >

Your Experiences Quilting on Embroidery Machine Using Snap-Hoop or Magna-Quilter

Your Experiences Quilting on Embroidery Machine Using Snap-Hoop or Magna-Quilter

Old 11-30-2011, 06:11 PM

Default Your Experiences Quilting on Embroidery Machine Using Snap-Hoop or Magna-Quilter

I'm wondering if any of you have used the Snap-Hoop or Magna-Quilter hoop to quilt an entire quilt sandwich on your embroidery machine and what your experiences were. The size is a large lap quilt - 62 x 72.

I've watched the videos on Youtube and the developer of the Magna-Quilter showed it being used on parts of a quilt sandwich that would later be put together. I'm really not interested in doing this.

It seems as if the Snap-Hoop and Magna-Quilter are very similar, the primary difference being the size.

Thanks,
Cathy
Old 12-01-2011, 08:29 AM

I quilt on my embroidery machine all of the time. I never use anything but the regular hoops. I never remove my bottom hoop - just move my quilt into the right place, and then insert the inner hoop. I've heard lots of people say the Snap-Hoop and Magna Quilter are not worth the money.
After you have once set your regular hoop to the right tightness, it is not hard to move the quilt and then replace the inner hoop.
Julie
Old 12-01-2011, 08:34 AM

I was thinking about quilting my table topper on a embroidery machine.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:18 PM

I have a Husqvarna Viking SE and I use my regular hoops too. I also have what is referred to as the quilting hoop. It's a 150x150 (6"x6" basically) and it has two inner hoops, one for light weight and one for heavy weight (for the quilt sandwich as well). I have used it with much success, but I also use my 4x4 and my 5x7 and my 9.5x6 without any problems. I just move the hoop where I want to stitch and punch the button. I use warm and natural or a low loft batting. I haven't attempted using a medium loft batting...we live in east Texas and don't really need it here.

A friend has the same machine as I do and she does have a Snap Hoop or Magna Hoop and she has not had very good luck using it.

Just remember to open your hoops up and then adjust the tightness and don't force the hoops too much. You can always tighten a little more if necessary to hold the quilt in place.

Good Luck
Old 12-01-2011, 08:16 PM

Me too! i use hoops that came with baby lock.