Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Guilds - What are your experiences? >

Quilt Guilds - What are your experiences?

Quilt Guilds - What are your experiences?

Old 08-03-2011, 04:58 PM

I am in a quilt group that started about 30 years ago by way of a small quilt shop. The shop is long gone and only 2 are original members. As the years went by people dropped out and new people joined. Everyone brought a friend who brought a friend so we are all pretty good friends. We have a quilt guild in the area and I know some of the ladies but since I have my quilt friends I don't feel the need to join. I would give it a try maybe look for someone who maybe isn't already part of a clique and try and get to know her. I think it's a hit or miss with any guild. you won't know if you don't try.
Good luck.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:50 PM

I joined a small guild, cold turkey, when I moved to Fla 11 yrs ago. Many of the gals in this group have become an extended part of my family and I don't know what I would do without them. Perhaps the guilds some have had difficulty with are too large.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:04 PM

Still reading the comments here about cliques and I think the word is a bit strong. A clique is basically a group of women who have been apart of their guild for a period of time and have become comfortable with each other to the point that they look forward to seeing their group each month to catch up. I have belonged to several inner circle groups over the years at my guild. They have changed so many times as we all have changed. I am not part of any of the groups I started with. Although I feel close to a large number of women within the guild I have a few that I chose to spend my "outside guild" time with. I love each of these women as if they are my sisters. We get together at least once a month at my home and have a fabulous time sewing, eating and giggling. They are always in my thoughts and they know it. I would do anything for them and they all feel the same. If you wish to develop lasting relationships with women who feel and think as you, you will find them at a guild. If you are just looking for a day away from your home with other quilters, you might give a guild a try. Please keep an open mind and an open heart and could very well find a wonderful place.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pat and pups
I'm shy in social situations and didn't feel welcomed at either guild I visited. Probably because of my own personality, but I'd rather quilt at home alone.
Me too, I like doing my own thing. In a small town there are so many cliques that I just as soon stay home. Get more done that way too. Mary
Old 08-03-2011, 06:26 PM

Hi in Owasso. I used to live in that area. I miss it and all my friends. I left about 4 years ago. You live in a great place.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:36 PM

I have been a member of a guild for the last 14 years. It is like everything else. Some years are good some years not so good. But the best part no matter what is Show and Tell.

Quilterfay in Saskatchewan
Old 08-03-2011, 06:47 PM

I love my guild. I do the newsletter and that helped me get to know the ladies. Also I have learned so much from them.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:51 PM

We have a great quilt guild! Everyone is welcome and we have people who don't quilt as members - they join to come, have a good time, and see what others are working on. We have a welcome committee for new people and we're like family! Guess I'm REALLY lucky!!!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by kydeb
We have a great quilt guild! Everyone is welcome and we have people who don't quilt as members - they join to come, have a good time, and see what others are working on. We have a welcome committee for new people and we're like family! Guess I'm REALLY lucky!!!
kydeb . . . . If you come out of hiding . . . I might check it out . . . if it is in my *neck of the woods*. Sounds like FUN!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:27 PM

It depends on your age really. One guild I joined was full of seniors. They were very clique. I didn't make any good friends in this group either. The guild was very political and the meeting were long and boring. Now I've joined a group in Phoenix Az and their a hoot. We are all closer in age and I think maybe this is the difference.