Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Guilds - What are your experiences? >

Quilt Guilds - What are your experiences?

Quilt Guilds - What are your experiences?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:21 AM

I am predident of our guild again. Was for 6 years previous. I hope we don't make people feel unwelcome. We have a welcoming committee at the door. This year we are going to try something new. As a rule ladies always sit in their little groups so we are going to ask everyone to move over a few spaces and intorduce themselves to their neighbour. I always encourage newcomers to join in . I know what feeling left out feels like and I sure don't want anyone to feel that way. I love talking to strangers so I make a point of talking to people that come. I hope no one feels left out in our guild. I want to know about it if they do so that we can change that. We all have to start somewhere and what better place then at a guild with a bunch of goofy quilters.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:33 AM

I'm joining the friendship group that extends off of the larger Dallas Guild. I wasn't sure if it would be for me. Some of these women are absolutely beyond words in their abilities. Then the last two meetings have been working meetings for charity and I feel that helped me fit in. When I mentioned that I've started working on longarm quilting at a local shop, but was embarrassed about my first efforts, one of the women told me to bring it in next time since the Quilt Police don't come to these meetings. That made me feel so great!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:46 AM

Quilt Quilds.... not for me... I'm too old to be trying to fit in to any already established group. They usually have their pecking order well established, and I just hate being "invisible"...

But I DO love this Quilting Board.. Funny that I don't feel invisible here...
Old 08-03-2011, 09:53 AM

I've been a member of 3 guild - all at the same time. ONe a big city guild, one a small city guild and one a small town/rural guild. I'm now president of the small one - 40 miles from home. Very friendly people - always make newcomers feel welcome. We have quilt camp (week-end of sewing - no overnight) 4 times a year and its a great time to get to know new people. The larger guilds tend to be cliquish but if you volunteer and help with different things (quilt shows, committees, etc.) that's where you get to know people. Give it a try. Keep a positive attitude. YOu can learn so much. And if they offer classes and workshops, take them. We have Quilting 101 every month for an hour before our meeting. It's for new quilters and it's wonderful. Those girls get to know each other well.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:21 AM

I joined our local guild after 30 years of never connecting on the right weekend! Our guild is huge (over 450 members), but feels small because of the number of small groups (10-20 members) covering every aspect of quilting you can imagine. We have assigned groups and drop in groups, days and evenings. No Quilt Police, and enough members that you can ignore the cliques that inevitably develop in a large group.

There are a bunch of reasons I like the group; older members willingly help younger members develop their craft (quilting age, not physical age - some 30 somethings help some beginning quilters in their 80s :)); we contribute in a big way to our local community and the world - recently sent $1,000 to a guild in Joplin, MO after the tornado; we have fun, both with speakers and events.

I joined when I retired with the specific intent to improve my quilting and contribute back to our community. I have to say I'm getting more out of it than I put into it.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:36 AM

If the guild is like most guilds there will be a mix of people. Some will be warm and some will not; some will enable you and some will disable you; how much you enjoy a guild depends on how you react to it. Good luck and enjoy as much as you can. froggyintexas
Old 08-03-2011, 10:44 AM

cliques, saved chairs, information not shared, the quilt retreat one of the best kept secrets (they could have given lessons to the CIA)....need I say more? I go only when they have workshops I am interested in.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:59 AM

I am not a "joiner" but, by my count, the negatives outweigh the positives nearly 2:1. What is with these people? Are they so insecure about themselves or the quality of their work that they can't stand any competition and therefore don't want to expose their shortcomings to the community-at-large?
C'mon ladies. Grow up. Get a life. You'll be surprised how large the world can be when you open a door.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:12 AM

I have belonged to River's Bend quild for 3 years. I love it.We meet first Monday of every month. We have all levels of experience-our oldest member is in her late 80's and she has so much to give. We have block lottos,mystery quilts.Every August we have a quilt show. I really recommend finding a quild with members from all ages and walks of life. I disagree with sandwichchild-the positives outway the negatives-I am content with my skills and no one in our quild puts anyone down. Thay have a lot to offer in the way of experience and truly never are critical of our quilts. (they offer advice in a positive way)
Old 08-03-2011, 11:42 AM

The first one I joined was very large and had its cliques and I never felt welcome. I was a beginner and everyone else seemed so experienced. It was intimidating and I only went a few times. A couple of years ago a co-worker asked me to come to her guild. It's a 45-60 minute drive depending on traffic but I love this guild. It's not as large and while there are expert quilters there, I've never been made to feel inferior when I've shared projects with the group. I even consented to become treasurer at the last election :)