Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Guilds - What are your experiences? >

Quilt Guilds - What are your experiences?

Quilt Guilds - What are your experiences?

Old 08-03-2011, 07:26 AM

I joined one for a year. Tried my hardest to *fit in*. Didn't work. Cliques, cliques, cliques . . . I thought that was high school stuff.
Thinking back now . . . I think the guild was way too big and maybe shouldn't have been accepting new members.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:41 AM

I find it so sad to hear of the bad experiences that so many of you have had with the guilds you went to. I belong to a guild and have always felt welcomed by them. I do know some of the people better than others but I don't feel that I couldn't sit with a group that I wasn't that well aquainted with. I also belong to a group of about 18, that all live in the association I live in. It's nice to know other women that are doing the same things you are doing to share with.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:59 AM

I've belonged to a local guild for about 24 years and for the most part have had wonderful experiences. There are always going to be a few (or several) who will stir up the pot and make it uncomfortable for others. Look past them. They do not speak for the whole and they are just troublemakers. Find the happy group and sit with them. They are the ones who will make you feel welcome and invite you to join their private get togethers. They are the ones you'll look forward to seeing month after month. As a large group you will learn, share and be inspired but it's that smaller group that makes it fun. If you're ever in Vallejo, CA and get a chance to attend The Vallejo Piecemakers Guild meeting, look for me -- the silly one who is always having a great time and pulling anyone who even speaks the word quilt into the fun. If you don't see happy faces and quilters laughing you can either get them started or give in and go home. The choice is always yours to make. For me, I'll always find the fun people. Good luck for those of you searching for it.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:02 AM

I think joining a Quilt guild is alot like joining a church. You have to find what fits you.
I belong to two guilds. Neither are in my county or city for a particular reason. I did not want to join a group that is also linked to a larger group that dues are split for, and requied to serve in the quilt show that the larger group holds yearly.
The first group I was asked to attend from a friend at church. It meets during the day, and is a fun group.
The second group I recently joined because I wanted to attend some of the programs and workshops this year. Th extra for non-members for these activities was more than the dues for a year. So, I joined. There is a small group in this guild that belongs to forementioned one also.This group is seriously quilters with a funny bone. They meet in the evening.

Both groups have various ages in them, with various types of quilting. Both groups have ribbon winners from local and state fairs. Both groups have nationally known published quilters in them. Both groups have LQS owners in them.

Go with the idea that you will have to give in order to get in return. Meaning, you introduce yourself, (would be helpful to wear a name tag- make one from fabric and you will be entered into a drawing likely), and try to be an active participant. Smile alot and laugh with the group.
Bring something for show and tell that you recently made or need to ask help with. If that doesn't work, look elsewhere for a group.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:10 AM

my experience with large guuilds is they are rather clicqey. I belong to a small one - 32 members and it is wonderful. Much easier to get to know people.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:33 AM

I guess there is nothing wrong with visiting a guild. I have talked to several persons, not just here but other places and they never had good experiences after they joined.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:37 AM

My friend took me to share one of her guilds in Seattle and I had a wonderful time. They had a local woman who does alot of good things in Mali, and I think she has a store up in Everett, where they sell the fabric that the woman make. I think I spent 100.00 on there wonderful fabrics, now want to save them and not use them. But we had a grand time and everyone was very welcoming.Excuse me for not being more exact it has been 3-4 yrs ago.the lady was also a wonderful speaker, she can convince you to take a trip with her.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:39 AM

We have a very large guild the youngest just turned 16 she joined at the age of 10, from there the sky is the limit for age. On my first visit I knew no one but had almost everone stop and say hello, ask my name and would I like to sit with them. At the begining of the meeting the president introduced new members and guest for the evening. After the business portion of the meeting we had a break. One member asked me to join her and some friends(a cilck?) for coffee. When meeting started again another member sat next to me and made quiet coments about other members as they became the center of attention, coments like she is in charge of Quilts of Valor or if you are intrested in helping with the quilt show talk to her or the best coment was, if you think you might like to join with us contact her. After joining the guild gave a new members Tea we do this once a year, all officers,and comittee heads attend, even some guild members that just wanted to say welcome droped in it was a 3 hr event with several mini classes. I discovered we have many well trained instructers in our area all were willing to show and give help all I have to do is pick up the phone or send e-mail I have only been a member for 6 months and we had no meeting in july but every time I go I have a great time. Have asked for and recieved valuable information and incoragment from everyone.During show and tell have never heared bad comennts
All in all so far a great experence our guild has 200+ members. If we have any bad apples I have not met them yet.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:09 AM

Sounds like some good and some bad. I belong to two guilds both are applique groups. One is small 30 members the other large over 165 members. I have found that both groups are very welcomeing and love to share. And guess what no quilt police in either group. Sorry that some of you have had bad experences. Better luck next time..
Old 08-03-2011, 09:09 AM

My guild meets once a month, usually with a speaker. There are also bees, classes, charity projects,-- as much as you wish to participate in -- for me, it's also time to meet up with my QB quilting buddy-- the speakers are usually entertaining, interesting, and even inspirational -- also I love seeing the show and tell projects of members