Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Guilds - What are your experiences? >

Quilt Guilds - What are your experiences?

Quilt Guilds - What are your experiences?

Old 08-03-2011, 06:21 AM

Loved our "nonguild" quilting group in WV. We'd get together to do charitiy quilts from time to time. We'd take our machines and unwanted scraps cut into prearranged strips to a local church and sew the day away (and eat and chat!). Later, some would meet to quilt and bind. During the day, we'd decide what local charities would get the quilts to auction off. Those days were the most fun I ever had quilting! A guild in a neighboring town always helped out and they put out their welcome mat for our group. In turn, we always tried to go to their fundraisers and buy tickets for their raffle quilts.
One of my friends had a bad experience after teaching a class for her guild. Now she travels to another guild that she likes much better! You should keep an open mind and give your guild a fair chance until you decide if it's a good fit for you.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:21 AM

I think it is unfortunate when quilt guilds or clubs make new members feel unwanted. I just recently joined a fairly small guild in a neighboring town, but I already knew some of the members so I have not felt unwelcome at all. Over the yrs I have belonged to a total of 6 guilds and various small groups. It didn't take me long to realize which ones I wanted to stay affiliated with and which ones I didn't. One of the worst was a guild that didn't meet very often. When I asked one of the founding members why that was she told me that they just expect their "general members" to pay their dues and keep their opinions to themselves! I didn't realize I was giving an opinion; I thought I was asking a question. LOL
Old 08-03-2011, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

I only belonged to one guild, and overall I would say it was a positive experience. It met in the morning, and I wasn't working days then, so it was a good fit. They made quilts for children who were in the hospital, and sometimes for their younger brothers and sisters who were staying in David's House. This was similar to Ronald McDonald houses where parents can stay while children are hospitalized for long periods. The guild even made special commissioned quilts for each of the bedrooms, when a new building was built on the hospital grounds. I especially loved making quilts for David's House, and seeing pictures of the children with a quilt I had made. I was even talked into being President for two years, but by then the membership had grown to over 125 members and it was harder to get to know people. I'd say overall it was a good experience, I learned new methods, saw wonderful Show and Tell quilts, had access to visiting nationally known teachers, as well as attending their workshops. It was a great experience, however I had to start working full-time when my daughter started college, and they didnt' have an evening group.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:31 AM

Just went to my quilt guild last night and had a wonderful time, met new people and talked with good friends I have already made. :-D

Love the show and tell part of the monthly program.

I have been a member for about 3 years.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:32 AM

I belong to two quilt guilds that are as different as night and day. One is large (135!) and one is small (35 now). Both have cliques and some people are nicer than others in both groups.

It is important to decide what your objective is in joining a guild: make friends, learn things, be inspired or whatever. In both guilds, I have found that it has been hard to get acquainted.

I've also found that volunteering for a position is a good way to get to involved. In the larger quilt guild, I stood up (shaking in my boots) and asked if anyone would like to join my "small group" (only 5 or 6, we meet in each other's homes to sew monthly). A few people volunteered and that has been the BEST experience for me.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:33 AM

I belong to my local guild and it has been a very positive experience. Perhaps it is like many other things in life you get out of it what you put into it. If you go expecting to be excluded you probably will because your body language and attitude will set you apart. Our guild does many community projects and you just have to be willing to join in and do your part. Acceptance will come with time and cooperation.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Nancy Bogard
I belong to my local guild and it has been a very positive experience. Perhaps it is like many other things in life you get out of it what you put into it. If you go expecting to be excluded you probably will because your body language and attitude will set you apart. Our guild does many community projects and you just have to be willing to join in and do your part. Acceptance will come with time and cooperation.
It's silly to expect to know people and be friends with people in two hours a month too.

The "cliques" everybody complains about are groups of friends that interact outside of guild or have known each other for years and years and want to spend their few minutes of social time catching up with each other.

If you are somebody that comes to a guild meeting and barely says hello to anybody, sits at the back of the room with your arms crossed you're not likely to make a whole lot of friends.

Smile, say hello, introduce yourself!! If you have to do it several times. I know I'm not real likely to remember somebody's name that I meet for an hour or two once a month.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:02 AM

The guilds in this area don't weem to meet at a conveint time for me - and I guess - truthfully - I am not a person who like 'groups'. rasther spend that time listening to Pandora and in myown house if I am not doig something with DH
Old 08-03-2011, 07:15 AM

Does anyone on the board have any info on a quilt guild in Rolla, MO? I only know of one, and hgave not visited them as of yet.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:17 AM

I love the guild I belong to. We meet twice a month and we have migrated from about every state in the union.