Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Guilds - What are your experiences? >

Quilt Guilds - What are your experiences?

Quilt Guilds - What are your experiences?

Old 08-03-2011, 04:42 AM

When I first started quilting a couple of years ago, we had just moved to a fairly affluent, golf resort area which was a BIG mistake for my family. We are neither affluent nor golfers. Can't even play tennis - the other big deal there. The quilters guild was a WHOLE 'nother story!!! The women there could not have been friendlier or more helpful to us 'newbies'!! Since then, we have moved to a much more suitable place and I'm looking forward to finding a new guild soon. In the meantime, I do enjoy just quilting alone - probably because of this board!
Old 08-03-2011, 04:48 AM

DH and I moved to this area 3 years ago, so not exactly new, but don't know many people. We have always been one another's best friend but at this age especially, with no family in the area, I think it is important that we both have interests and friends in common and independent of one another. Reality is that we won't both be around one of these days. I have attended quilt guilds in Phoenix, AZ where we were originally from and the Phoenix Area Quilters Association there was absolutely wonderful and I loved attending. I didn't find them snooty at all.
I have attended two local guilds here but not enough to really get a feel for the attitudes. What I find very interesting is that, with one exception, everyone I have met here at the meetings is from out of state. We are all "damn Yankees" from what I have been able to ascertain. I am hoping to make some friends. The guild that I dropped into on Monday to introduce myself does Quilts of Valor for the closest Veterans Administration Hospital. I would definitely like to be a part of that. There is another in a nearby community that doesn't start up again until Sept that has some wonderful programs that I would like to attend also. My experience with guilds and new churches is that you need to get involved! Jump in with both feet and put yourself out there. You haven't lost anything if it doesn't work. It has taken me a LOT of years to get to this point. I was extremely shy when in HS so I do understand the people who are uncomfortable with sticking their neck out. The "snooty pitooties" as my granddaughter calls them are still around but I have gotten past them being able to have any effect on my attitude. At this age I am just as apt to stop, look them in the eye, and let them know that I don't appreciate their comments. Ann in TN
Old 08-03-2011, 04:50 AM

I belong to a small group here in the town where I live. New members must be invited and voted on by secret ballot. If even one person votes "no", they are not invited to join. They do not even know that they are considered before being voted on, thus no hurt feelings. Our membership is limited to 20 members so no cliques. At first it seems like a pretty stringent group, but all of our members have had bad experiences in the past with large guilds, cliques, drama and trauma. This works. We are all aages, all experience levels and all have different strengths. We all learn a lot and we are all very close. I really love this group.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:54 AM

My experience has been really good. Sure, it took a few months to get to know them, but the group also needed a few months to get to know me too. I began attending our monthly meetings, monthly Saturday work days and brought in a project that I needed some help with or wanted someones opinion on. I had several offer ideas, and they introduced me to paper piecing my first work day.

I would suggest a group that is medium in size, 20 - 40 individuals. That allows you to find a quilt buddy if you wish and is not so large that you feel lost in the crowd.

Had a bad experience, then start your own group. It may just be a group of quilter friends that enjoy the process and like to sit down together on a regular basis and sew and chat. You will share knowledge, get opinions and can easily travel together to local shop hops or quilting shows.

When you get lemons from some sour-puss quilters, make lemonade and serve it up sweet to the newbie that comes to your little group in the future. Don't let the sour-puss quilters deprive you of the company of other really companionable quilters.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:57 AM

I was attending our local quild and it wasn't working in with my schedule. Then I did join the guild in the larger city and have loved it. They have a retreat each year for members only and get lots of speakers and great ideas. Some guilds have quilt shows and some don't. But with any group of people there will be those that think they know it all. Don't be too put off by them because chances are there are other members having the same experience with them. I've made some wonderful new friends and love spending time with the guild.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:03 AM

Most of the time I sit alone at the guild, but there are wonderful benefits to joining. Discounts on classes from well known teachers, classes from local teachers. I have learned alot from our guild. I didn't go to make friends but to get my long-arm quilting business out there and do some charity work.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:04 AM

I wish you a wonderful experience with your quilt guild. When I moved to a new area in 2005, I visited a local quilt club and the welcome mat was rolled out to me. They had been together for years, but always had room for one more. We even had a shopping/lunch/shopping and lots of fun day each qtr. A wonderful experience all around!!!!!

Then I joined a newly forming quilt guild. Was a good experience there as well, but not the same ambiance as the quilt 'club'. Were some 'politics' issues, but overall, the, it was good.

I'm going to accept an invite to the local quilt guild in a nearby town tomorrow night. I understand it is quite large, but I'll give it a shot anyway. I need the interaction with other quilters....so I'll see how it goes.

The best to everyone. This forum is a great avenue to meet other quilters!!!
Old 08-03-2011, 05:13 AM

I learn something every time I go to guild. I'm so inspired by the quilts our members make and we have all skill levels. My suggestion is volunteer for a committee, that is the best way to get to know people and to make friends of the other guild members.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:19 AM

Moved here six years ago, joined the Omaha Quilt Guild and have been very active. Made many good friends through the guild. What is the best is to join a small group, I have learned so much from others by being in my small group. Our group is full of wonderful people who love to share what they have and know.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:19 AM

Been thinking of joining a guild but don't know were to find one if there is some in my area.