View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Baloonatic

Originally Posted by whinnytoo
I use Havels Seam Ripper, stays sharp a very long time, or a single edge razor blade.....
Speaking from experience, if you use a razorblade, get a holder/handle for it or your hand will cramp something fierce! We used the blades for many years in our upholstery shop, bought 'em by the 100/box. About 6-7 years ago my DH found the snap-off box cutters worked well and stayed sharp longer (actually he just snapped the tip off to expose a new edge). Last year he asked me WHY I never told him about seam rippers!!!!! That's what he prefers today...so far... I'll have to let him have a go with a scalpel! If he doesn't slash his hand with it...again...

My BFF shared a tip with me, she learned in a class she recently took about disposable eyebrow trimmers, available in your local drug store everywhere in packs of 5-10. They seem to work better on the push stroke, at least for me. One would have a hard time injuring oneself, but they CAN cut your fabric if you use them cavalierly. Just ask me how I know...