View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 07:05 AM
Covered in Threads

I too am a fairly new quilter but have sewn for years.
First off all my large pieces (1yard or more) are folded & on shelves above my cutting area. Smaller pieces are in tubs. Strips are in labeled small bins. All clear tubs so I can see at a glance what's inside.
I've never pinned anything and if you should chose to be sure to use good pins that will not rust with time.
I have another wall in my room that all the tools, rulers, accessories, embelishments, etc are hanging.
Then under my work tables are the tubs of lace, ribbon, large serger spools and a two 2 drawer file cabinets for my patterns.
On the floor I got 2 of the huge cutting mats - this makes it easier to lay out the back, batting and top for pinning & trimming and protects my carpet. I put velcro under them to keep them from sliding around.
I'm a crafter and quilter using a nice size 10 x 13 room with southern exposure natural light plus a series of track lights. I work with 4 different sewing machines and when I enter my little haven I can do what I want and leave it as it is by simply closing the door behind me.
Hope these suggestions help. We all eventually find what works best for us. Just find a way to make it fun! :lol: