Thread: Quilt Adoptions
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 10:54 AM
LindaM49

This kind of reminds me of a story that could have ended up very sad.

Back in the 80s my hubby's grandparents were moving out of the only home they ever owned and into a small retirement apartment complex. Grandma had alzheimers disease. So Grandpa decided to have a public sale since they had a TON of stuff that they no longer needed. They only had 1 child...a daughter...my hubby's mother. Hubby has 2 brothers. All of us were helping to pack and carry stuff outside for the sale...hubby and I had gone to the attic. I found a box that had 2 quilts handmade by grandma and then there was a buggy blanket...his grandparents were PA Dutch...not Amish. So I said...yu guys/grandsons should ask grandpa if each of us can have one of these since they SHOULD be kept in the family. They asked and he said no...they should be sold. I pitched a fit and was the only brave one (now remember I'm an inlaw) to "confront" him. The others were disappointed but said it was his decision. So I talked to him and said...but "the boys" grandma made 2 of these quilts...both were made out of fabric when they were little and then some of her old dresses...and no one would EVER appreciate them as much as your grandsons. He thought about it and said...Linda...you are right. Hubby's oldest brother wanted the buggy blanket and then middle brother and hubby got a quilt. We have had our quilt "on display" on the back of a love seat in our living room ever since. And hubby still likes to look at it and say...that was one of my shirts or that was one of grandma's dresses.