Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilt Adoptions

I had rescued a quilt this weekend that was made around the 1930's that was being sold at a yard sale for $2. I posted a pic here and I got a lot of comments about how people were so sad that this person sold their grandmother's quilt for $2 but they were happy someone who appreciated quilts (me) bought it.

This got me thinking...if I see any more vintage quilts at yard sales being sold for...oh I don't know...under $10, should I rescue them and then post them up for adoption here? I would just ask what I paid for it and the person adopting it would also pay for shipping.

Do you all think that is something that would be welcomed here?

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I rescue alot from garage sales, flea markets and thrift stores.. I actually use them, I believe that is what they were meant for, to be loved, used and admired. I do think you could sell the quilts 'cheap' here.. I know someone would give them a great home..

Blog Entries
    I would think so!! I know I'd adopt!

I would adopt also.

That's a great idea. Carrying on a quilt or quilt top's intended purpose might produce some smiles in heaven, who knows. I don't have the time to shop yard sales because of my early morning work hours, but I would certainly be happy to buy someone else's rescue finds and give them a good home.

I rescue a lot form garage sales too but it's only me and my husband and there are only so many quilts one can have. lol :) I would like to see them going to a home that would use them, not just store them like I might do. Maybe I'll even print up a little adoption certificate to go with each quilt. I think that would be cute. :D

Yes yes yes!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thelondonzoo
    I rescue a lot form garage sales too but it's only me and my husband and there are only so many quilts one can have. lol :) I would like to see them going to a home that would use them, not just store them like I might do. Maybe I'll even print up a little adoption certificate to go with each quilt. I think that would be cute. :D
    What a cute idea :D:D:D

i'd adopt

Sounds like a great idea!

If you need some place to store them I can foster.

My DD is adopted and would love an adopted quilt.

This kind of reminds me of a story that could have ended up very sad.

Back in the 80s my hubby's grandparents were moving out of the only home they ever owned and into a small retirement apartment complex. Grandma had alzheimers disease. So Grandpa decided to have a public sale since they had a TON of stuff that they no longer needed. They only had 1 child...a daughter...my hubby's mother. Hubby has 2 brothers. All of us were helping to pack and carry stuff outside for the sale...hubby and I had gone to the attic. I found a box that had 2 quilts handmade by grandma and then there was a buggy blanket...his grandparents were PA Dutch...not Amish. So I said...yu guys/grandsons should ask grandpa if each of us can have one of these since they SHOULD be kept in the family. They asked and he said no...they should be sold. I pitched a fit and was the only brave one (now remember I'm an inlaw) to "confront" him. The others were disappointed but said it was his decision. So I talked to him and said...but "the boys" grandma made 2 of these quilts...both were made out of fabric when they were little and then some of her old dresses...and no one would EVER appreciate them as much as your grandsons. He thought about it and said...Linda...you are right. Hubby's oldest brother wanted the buggy blanket and then middle brother and hubby got a quilt. We have had our quilt "on display" on the back of a love seat in our living room ever since. And hubby still likes to look at it and say...that was one of my shirts or that was one of grandma's dresses.

Yes! Yes! Yes ! I would love to adopt, and can promise it would have great home even after I'm gone. Everyone in my family LOVES quilts!

Blog Entries
    I think that is a great idea. I got one from Craigslist; it needs repaired and cleaned but it was all hand stitched. My one teacher said it looked 20's or 30's; I paid 30 for it. I would love to have more. I have two bedrooms that I'm doing in antiques and want the old quilts to show case in them.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaM49
    This kind of reminds me of a story that could have ended up very sad.

Back in the 80s my hubby's grandparents were moving out of the only home they ever owned and into a small retirement apartment complex. Grandma had alzheimers disease. So Grandpa decided to have a public sale since they had a TON of stuff that they no longer needed. They only had 1 child...a daughter...my hubby's mother. Hubby has 2 brothers. All of us were helping to pack and carry stuff outside for the sale...hubby and I had gone to the attic. I found a box that had 2 quilts handmade by grandma and then there was a buggy blanket...his grandparents were PA Dutch...not Amish. So I said...yu guys/grandsons should ask grandpa if each of us can have one of these since they SHOULD be kept in the family. They asked and he said no...they should be sold. I pitched a fit and was the only brave one (now remember I'm an inlaw) to "confront" him. The others were disappointed but said it was his decision. So I talked to him and said...but "the boys" grandma made 2 of these quilts...both were made out of fabric when they were little and then some of her old dresses...and no one would EVER appreciate them as much as your grandsons. He thought about it and said...Linda...you are right. Hubby's oldest brother wanted the buggy blanket and then middle brother and hubby got a quilt. We have had our quilt "on display" on the back of a love seat in our living room ever since. And hubby still likes to look at it and say...that was one of my shirts or that was one of grandma's dresses.
    What a great story! Thank you so much for sharing that.

I will absolutely be on the look out for more quilts. I have one that I bought a couple weeks ago that I'm going to list as soon as I can get pictures of it. Apparently it was made in the 1940's but other than that the man who sold it to me said he didn't know anything about it. How sad...

Blog Entries
    I was like that with the one I got. They had no clue about it. I was happy to hear they had antique quilts from both sides of thier family that they were keeping. I could never understand someone selling family hierlooms. I only wished that I could have the chance again to see a quilt my grandmother made let alone own it.

i would gladly adopt a quilt/top.also love your avatar!! :)
    dar

Quote Originally Posted by dar627742
    i would gladly adopt a quilt/top.also love your avatar!! :)
    dar
    Aw, thank you! :D

Quote Originally Posted by emerald46
    Sounds like a great idea!
    DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good idea!

Wonderful idea, lets do it.

Shoot, I just read the rules for selling under the classifieds (which is where I would post the quilts I'd have up for adoption) and it says not to advertise my intent to sell anywhere on the QB. If any of the moderators are reading this thread then I'm sorry if I broke any rules. It's been a while since I sold anything and I didn't realize there were so many changes.

I also have an adopted daughter who is now trying to learn to quilt, so an adopted quilt would be VERY special to her.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    I would think so!! I know I'd adopt!

Quote Originally Posted by Terryl
    I also have an adopted daughter who is now trying to learn to quilt, so an adopted quilt would be VERY special to her.
    I think that is so awesome. My husband and I tried adopting from foster care a few years back but it didn't turn out very well so we never did. When he finishes school we're going to look into private adoption.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast