Thread: Washing Fabric
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 06:42 PM
pjnesler

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I'm from the country -

If - as far as you know - the mice are healthy in your part of the world -

and you are reasonably healthy and not pregnant -

I would take the fabrics outside - (I might consider a mask and gloves at this point)

Shake the loose stuff off -

This all sounds good - one concern came to my mind since I had lived in a small town where everyone had their own septic system, hopefully you have city sewer and won't have problems other than higher sewer bill - in out small town, the children of one of my friends got the dreded "head lice" at school, everything - EVERYTHING in her house was washed, lots of loads of laundry, and her septic system couldn't handle it and collapsed. Wouldn't want that to happen to you . . . Good Luck...

Sort according to colors - wash the fabrics in HOT water with almost any detergent (maybe for 10 minutes) - on the most gentle cycle you have available. Don't overload the washer.

I would rinse the fabrics twice.

Then dry - either on a clothesline or in a dryer.

I think it's agitation and abrasion that makes fabric look old before it's time.

So - just fill the washer about half full of fabric - use maximum fill for water - and off you go.

Unless you are in a water restriction area - then just store everything in covered plastic bins until water is available. I still would shake the loose stuff off first.