Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Washing Fabric

I am finely in my new house enough that I can start on my 29 quilts.

My problem is, my Mother-in-Law's fabric had mice so it must all be washed. 18 boxes full..... Do you think just Tide and Downy is good, or do I need to use something stronger? It's disgusting....... Also, I only want to wash it on gentle so I get the least amount of fray possible...

waiting for responses? I know I would use laundry detergent and either Borax or Arm & Hammer washing soda and then dry. Good luck with all that fabric.

In my oponion that would be fine.

Blog Entries
    You need to disinfect the fabric to prevent unwanted diseases :wink: laundry soap and drying is not enough :D:D:D

I would have to agree.. if it has had mice in it, it need disinfection. I would start out soaking it in white vinegar and hot water, that is suppose to be disinfecting. Then I would wash them in tide.

Quote Originally Posted by janell2009
    I would have to agree.. if it has had mice in it, it need disinfection. I would start out soaking it in white vinegar and hot water, that is suppose to be disinfecting. Then I would wash them in tide.
    For how long?

Quote Originally Posted by AUQuilter
    waiting for responses? I know I would use laundry detergent and either Borax or Arm & Hammer washing soda and then dry. Good luck with all that fabric.
    Borax or vinegar?

I would use Lysol. It will be expensive, but that would kill the germs. Also I would use the hottest water available. That means I would not go to a laundry mat.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by SheriR
    For how long?
    And doesn't vinegar also help set colors, like reds??

Quote Originally Posted by AUQuilter
    Borax or vinegar?
    And YES, I'm waiting for responses, I'll run to walmart and get what I need. I've been anxious to start this project since we returned with all the fabric, but I won't let it in my house until it's washed.

jut wash and dry it and be done.

Quote Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie
    I would use Lysol. It will be expensive, but that would kill the germs. Also I would use the hottest water available. That means I would not go to a laundry mat.
    Sue
    I wondered about Lysol. Do you think everything will smell like it? I never wash reds or darks in HOT water, but I think I must for this one time.....

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea
    You don't think it needs disinfecting?

If you don't over load you washer NO.

Blog Entries
    I would disinfect it

as I am allergic to mice droppings, I break out all over with a bad rash

good luck

You don't think it needs disinfecting?

How about a scoop of oxyclean in each load. I know it would help with smell.

hung it outside to dry will help if smell and be easy on the fabric.

hung it outside to dry will help if smell and be easy on the fabric.
    I did tell hubby I need a nice clothes line here at the new house.... lol

OK I'm off to WalMart Thanks for the help <3

Blog Entries
    If you pink the edges, you will get a lot less fraying.

Power Poster
    I'm from the country -

If - as far as you know - the mice are healthy in your part of the world -

and you are reasonably healthy and not pregnant -

I would take the fabrics outside - (I might consider a mask and gloves at this point)

Shake the loose stuff off -

Sort according to colors - wash the fabrics in HOT water with almost any detergent (maybe for 10 minutes) - on the most gentle cycle you have available. Don't overload the washer.

I would rinse the fabrics twice.

Then dry - either on a clothesline or in a dryer.

I think it's agitation and abrasion that makes fabric look old before it's time.

So - just fill the washer about half full of fabric - use maximum fill for water - and off you go.

Unless you are in a water restriction area - then just store everything in covered plastic bins until water is available. I still would shake the loose stuff off first.

Blog Entries
    thats fine! use vinegar in rinse. Cut notches on each side of fabric to cut down on fraying and wash on gentle. Dont need much soap!!

These droppings carry harmful bacteria, diseases and viruses and should not be handled without the use of protective gloves and a tightly fitting face mask. Hantavirus is contracted through the inhalation of particles of contaminated feces, as well as inhalation or ingestion of an infected mouse's saliva or urine. Disturbed droppings are more likely to emit virus particles and it is unwise to sweep or vacuum areas where feces have been found. Rather, droppings should be picked up carefully and disposed of in plastic bags. This disease has a low survival rate and requires prompt medical attention.
    This is from the Orkin web site...
    They recommend that it be disinfected with bleach and water solutions and that anything that contains mouse dropping or nests should not be handled...
    I would be very careful with this... if it is bad enough it is just not worth someone getting sick to save the fabrics, would it? It sounds like it is nothing to mess with...

Power Poster
    These droppings carry harmful bacteria, diseases and viruses and should not be handled without the use of protective gloves and a tightly fitting face mask. Hantavirus is contracted through the inhalation of particles of contaminated feces, as well as inhalation or ingestion of an infected mouse's saliva or urine. Disturbed droppings are more likely to emit virus particles and it is unwise to sweep or vacuum areas where feces have been found. Rather, droppings should be picked up carefully and disposed of in plastic bags. This disease has a low survival rate and requires prompt medical attention.
    They recommend that it be disinfected with bleach and water solutions and that anything that contains mouse dropping or nests should not be handled...
    I would be very careful with this... if it is bad enough it is just not worth someone getting sick to save the fabrics, would it? It sounds like it is nothing to mess with...
    And to think that mice are at the bottom of so many food chains!

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    And to think that mice are at the bottom of so many food chains!
    I know life is full of risks.... I would risk washing it if it is not too horrible. I would try the cheapest 1st, vinegar soak, then hot water launder on the first load. You should be able to tell if it will do the job or not.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast