Washing Fabric >

Washing Fabric

Washing Fabric

Old 08-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

I'm from the country -

If - as far as you know - the mice are healthy in your part of the world -

and you are reasonably healthy and not pregnant -

I would take the fabrics outside - (I might consider a mask and gloves at this point)

Shake the loose stuff off -

Sort according to colors - wash the fabrics in HOT water with almost any detergent (maybe for 10 minutes) - on the most gentle cycle you have available. Don't overload the washer.

I would rinse the fabrics twice.

Then dry - either on a clothesline or in a dryer.

I think it's agitation and abrasion that makes fabric look old before it's time.

So - just fill the washer about half full of fabric - use maximum fill for water - and off you go.

Unless you are in a water restriction area - then just store everything in covered plastic bins until water is available. I still would shake the loose stuff off first.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:56 AM

thats fine! use vinegar in rinse. Cut notches on each side of fabric to cut down on fraying and wash on gentle. Dont need much soap!!
Old 08-08-2011, 11:08 AM

These droppings carry harmful bacteria, diseases and viruses and should not be handled without the use of protective gloves and a tightly fitting face mask. Hantavirus is contracted through the inhalation of particles of contaminated feces, as well as inhalation or ingestion of an infected mouse's saliva or urine. Disturbed droppings are more likely to emit virus particles and it is unwise to sweep or vacuum areas where feces have been found. Rather, droppings should be picked up carefully and disposed of in plastic bags. This disease has a low survival rate and requires prompt medical attention.
This is from the Orkin web site...
They recommend that it be disinfected with bleach and water solutions and that anything that contains mouse dropping or nests should not be handled...
I would be very careful with this... if it is bad enough it is just not worth someone getting sick to save the fabrics, would it? It sounds like it is nothing to mess with...
Old 08-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by janell2009
These droppings carry harmful bacteria, diseases and viruses and should not be handled without the use of protective gloves and a tightly fitting face mask. Hantavirus is contracted through the inhalation of particles of contaminated feces, as well as inhalation or ingestion of an infected mouse's saliva or urine. Disturbed droppings are more likely to emit virus particles and it is unwise to sweep or vacuum areas where feces have been found. Rather, droppings should be picked up carefully and disposed of in plastic bags. This disease has a low survival rate and requires prompt medical attention.
They recommend that it be disinfected with bleach and water solutions and that anything that contains mouse dropping or nests should not be handled...
I would be very careful with this... if it is bad enough it is just not worth someone getting sick to save the fabrics, would it? It sounds like it is nothing to mess with...
And to think that mice are at the bottom of so many food chains!
Old 08-08-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by janell2009
And to think that mice are at the bottom of so many food chains!
I know life is full of risks.... I would risk washing it if it is not too horrible. I would try the cheapest 1st, vinegar soak, then hot water launder on the first load. You should be able to tell if it will do the job or not.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie
I would use Lysol. It will be expensive, but that would kill the germs. Also I would use the hottest water available. That means I would not go to a laundry mat.
Sue
BINGO...Liquid Lysol would be the BEST thing to use...run it through once with just the Lysol and then again with the detergent!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I'm from the country -

If - as far as you know - the mice are healthy in your part of the world -

and you are reasonably healthy and not pregnant -

I would take the fabrics outside - (I might consider a mask and gloves at this point)

Shake the loose stuff off -

Sort according to colors - wash the fabrics in HOT water with almost any detergent (maybe for 10 minutes) - on the most gentle cycle you have available. Don't overload the washer.

I would rinse the fabrics twice.

Then dry - either on a clothesline or in a dryer.

I think it's agitation and abrasion that makes fabric look old before it's time.

So - just fill the washer about half full of fabric - use maximum fill for water - and off you go.

Unless you are in a water restriction area - then just store everything in covered plastic bins until water is available. I still would shake the loose stuff off first.
I agree with this. I wouldn't get too worried about the mouse dropping issue. The mask to shake out any droppings, nesting material, etc is a good precaution but you really don't have to overworry about this. I'm afraid the little devils are just about everywhere and we are exposed to them and their waste a lot more than most of us want to think about. As long as you have a healthy immune system and there is not a disease problem going on in your area (like NM had several years ago with Hantavirus), you will be fine and the washing well will clean the fabric adequately. This is IMHO, of course--country girl here.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:06 PM

What about clothing or bedding?
Take bedding or clothing outside and either gently roll the droppings off or pick them off with
rubber gloves: do not shake them off! This is how hantavirus is spread. Then wash them as
regular laundry and dry them in a dryer or hang them outside in bright sunlight. Clothes worn
while cleaning mouse infestation can be handled in the same manner: carefully remove any
droppings, then wash and dry .

I found above advice on a Health Advisory site. I would be careful with Lysol. I had some material given to me that was washed in it or soaked in it??? I threw it out, the smell would not come out. Good luck.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

vinegar sets acid dyes---which are not used on cotton fabrics-
vinegar will freshen fabrics- and is a good fabric softener- but has nothing to do with setting colors-
sort the fabrics so reds/darks do not bleed on lighter fabrics- toss in color catchers or use retayne if you are worried about a bleeder.
detergent and borax- or oxyclean should be all you need- but skip that gentle cycle- use a regular-long cycle= and a hot dryer.
if there are dropping stains you may have to wash them more than once (the oxyclean would help here)
Old 08-08-2011, 05:44 PM

Hope this helps
http://thehousingforum.com/how-to-disinfect-laundry/