Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing Fabric >

Washing Fabric

Washing Fabric

Old 08-08-2011, 05:58 PM

Very nice site, Glassquilt!

Thank you all! These comments bring up important things to think about. I know I've sent this link to my adult children so they learn how to take care of their stuff.

We recently cleaned out a mice and rat infestation in our attic which got into bedding stored in the garage. Guess who has to clean up items now???
Old 08-08-2011, 06:23 PM

Good old fashioned clorine bleach is the most effective, but understanding you do not want the "other"effects that bleach has on fabric . Use hot water and do completely dry in the dryer on the hotest setting.
Just an FYI pasturization ( process of killing bacteria ) occurs at 180 degrees for one second , it also occurs at lower temperatures but the time needed to kill the bacteria is longer . At 140 degrees you need 15 minutes at 140 degrees.
Use a detergent to clean the soils /and or odors , use temperature when bleach ( a chemical method of killing bacteria) is not used.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:32 PM

Oh, I just thought of something. Do you know anyone with a newish front-loading machine. I bought a Samsung from Sears almost two years ago and one of the features is sanitizing with silver ions in cold or hot water. It also has a super hot, steam sanitizing feature for whites. Other models may have these options. Either of those features would kill the mouse germs.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:34 PM

I would sort all of this stuff outdoors, away from the house, then put all of it in plastic trash bags and then off to the laundry mat, I know we all own washers, this is a lot to clean in your home machine, this is just an idea, but I wouldn't bring this into my house until its clean
Old 08-09-2011, 02:57 AM
Swap Hosts

Mouse dropping can carry hanta virus. I would throw it out.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:00 AM

Use hottest water available, any type of laundry detergent & lysol.. Dry on the hottest setting of your dryer.

DO NOT USE FABRIC SOFTENER OF ANY TYPE.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:02 AM

Fabric softner will affect the ability of fusibles to adhere to the fabric when used for applique.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by SheriR
Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie
I would use Lysol. It will be expensive, but that would kill the germs. Also I would use the hottest water available. That means I would not go to a laundry mat.
Sue
I wondered about Lysol. Do you think everything will smell like it? I never wash reds or darks in HOT water, but I think I must for this one time.....
Just use lots of shout sheets since the hot water is bound to cause color bleeds
Old 08-09-2011, 05:12 AM

You need to wear a face mask of some kind while you're handling this fabric before washing as mouse droppings carry hanta virus, a very bad lung disease. Washing alone is not enough to kill the virus. I don't even know if liquid Lysol and hot water is enough to kill it. You probably need to do some research online to kind out how to be sure you are not infected. Hanta virus is a very serious disease that often causes death. A bunch of free fabric is not worth dying over. I'm not trying to scare you, but just a word to the wise.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:17 AM

I would disenfect it, just to be on safe side.