Old 08-10-2011, 09:22 AM
jem

Sorry, but I would throw it out!
Old 08-10-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I'm from the country -

If - as far as you know - the mice are healthy in your part of the world -

and you are reasonably healthy and not pregnant -

I would take the fabrics outside - (I might consider a mask and gloves at this point)

Shake the loose stuff off -

This all sounds good - one concern came to my mind since I had lived in a small town where everyone had their own septic system, hopefully you have city sewer and won't have problems other than higher sewer bill - in out small town, the children of one of my friends got the dreded "head lice" at school, everything - EVERYTHING in her house was washed, lots of loads of laundry, and her septic system couldn't handle it and collapsed. Wouldn't want that to happen to you . . . Good Luck...

Sort according to colors - wash the fabrics in HOT water with almost any detergent (maybe for 10 minutes) - on the most gentle cycle you have available. Don't overload the washer.

I would rinse the fabrics twice.

Then dry - either on a clothesline or in a dryer.

I think it's agitation and abrasion that makes fabric look old before it's time.

So - just fill the washer about half full of fabric - use maximum fill for water - and off you go.

Unless you are in a water restriction area - then just store everything in covered plastic bins until water is available. I still would shake the loose stuff off first.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by winter012
I would sure as heck disinfect it with liquid Lysol concentrate, about an ounce per load, with hot, hot water & a good detergent. If you do a second rinse with Arm & Hammer baking soda, it will take all the Lysol odor out of the fabric & soften it at the same time. Good luck!!!!
Anyone needing disinfectant, use the little brown bottle of Lysol (I think this is what winter012 is suggesting), originally made for hospital use. It's germ-killing. There is not much scent to it. not the floor mopping cleanser.

If someone gave me a quilt washed in floor mopping lysol, I would have to pass. I have emphysema, and border on environmental illness. Can't handle scents.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:57 AM

Mom was a home midwife in the 80's. I assisted.

To sterilize baby clothes, we had the family wash (not new) cotton clothes in hot water, soap (not detergent), place the clothes in a very clean brown paper bag. Bake it in the oven at 200 for an hour.

Maybe this will help. Wash it all up, store it until it is cool enough to run the oven.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SheriR
Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I am glad to hear it is not as bad as some of us, me included, imagined it from your first post and that you are mostly being proactive and playing it safe by washing. Can't wait to see the quilts.
I know, and I'm sorry for that. I was so anxious to run buy what I needed to wash it, I failed to be specific enough. I've got two boxes washed which has equaled 10 loads and over 80 different prints so far. When I finish this phase, I'll post a pic of my cupboards of fabric. :)
You're well on the way .... and this suggestion is a bit late, though would be good to do it from here on in.

Measure your fabric as you finish washing, and label with the length as you fold it to store. You'll be glad you did when it comes time to pick out what's needed for your quilts.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by SheriR
Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I am glad to hear it is not as bad as some of us, me included, imagined it from your first post and that you are mostly being proactive and playing it safe by washing. Can't wait to see the quilts.
I know, and I'm sorry for that. I was so anxious to run buy what I needed to wash it, I failed to be specific enough. I've got two boxes washed which has equaled 10 loads and over 80 different prints so far. When I finish this phase, I'll post a pic of my cupboards of fabric. :)
You're well on the way .... and this suggestion is a bit late, though would be good to do it from here on in.So funny you post this. I thought about 10 loads on...... "I should be measuring these....."

Measure your fabric as you finish washing, and label with the length as you fold it to store. You'll be glad you did when it comes time to pick out what's needed for your quilts.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

No reason why you can't start now ... I wish someone had nudged me to do so when I started my stash! :) Would make life so much easier when I go "stash shopping"!!!!!
Old 08-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

And if you are curious/obsessive - measure your fabrics before and after washing - you may find the results "interesting"
Old 09-17-2011, 12:36 PM

My feelings are that there is NO one who hasnt had a mouse or two in their cupboards or house over their lifetime.

Think about people using cloth napkins in nice restaurants, cloth tablecloths, and they launder them and they are reused. Sheets in Hotels, and towels.

You use cloth diapers and let them sit a day or two and launder in the machine with gentle detergent, and toss over your shoulder for a burp cloth.

You either believe that laundring things gets them clean, or you dont. If y ou dont, you would have to be living in total isolation in a rubber suit if you went outside. Everything you touch in public places has been touched and h andled by people with every kind of virus and germ poossible.

Cats in th e house catch mice and chew on them, lick their behind, then lick themselves all over and come lick your arm, and we cuddle them and no one runs to wash the arm or bathe the cat 3X a day. Same for dogs.

I personally believe laundering things gets it clean. Otherwise, most of us would die before we ever got school age.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:37 PM

P.S. Quilt shops and all stores have mice too. We just dont see them before they are trapped.