View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 06:35 PM
auntpiggylpn

Originally Posted by burnsk
We now have huge mosquitos in Michigan. They are called Gallinipper mosquitos. The insect has a half-inch long body and even longer legs - hairy ones with white bands. The mosquito easily covers a quarter. It’s aggressive when pursuing its blood meal, and it loves to bite during the day. It bites right through your clothing. Their bites are like a stab.

The gallinipper is native to Michigan. It doesn’t make an appearance every year. The recent cycle of heavy rains and dry spells made conditions ripe for a breakout of these huge mosquitos. The gallinipper’s larvae feed on the larvae of its smaller mosquito cousins. If there are lots of smaller mosquitoes buzzing around you will probably see the large versions flying around, too. I have lived in Michigan all my life and never seen a gallinipper before. Gallinipper eggs can sit for years, waiting for the right conditions to hatch. Once they’re out, adults live for two weeks to a month.

The gallinipper can be mistaken for the Asian tiger mosquito, which has been found in parts of Indiana and Illinois.

We had two in the house last night. They probably snuck in on someone's clothing. They are huge.
I feel like that was the intro to a horror movie!!