View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 08:58 PM
GailG

Originally Posted by cowpie2
I'm no expert, but I pick a size block that will work best for most of the tshirt designs. Then I fuse the interfacing on the back and cut the blocks all standard size. Some have more plain t'shirt material around the design that the others, but there is always plenty of fabric to make the blocks all the same size.
I'm working on my fourth t-shirt quilt. It's the first one that I apply stabilizer on the back. And it's also the first one I've made all of the blocks the same size. I cut the stabilizer 14" x 14", then I centered it as best I could on the back of the design. Once it was stabilized, I placed my 12 1/2 inch square over the picture, centering it. Then I cut around the square. For the small logos, I used a 6 or 6 1/2 " square on the back and then cut around it. (I haven't decided what I'll do with the smaller squares, since they are not all the same size -- probably borders will be used and then I'll group them into some sort of block.) I'll be sewing a narrow cotton border around each block and then using a sashing around that. Colors of fabrics will evolve as I place the blocks in some pleasing order. Don't remember the tutorial I saw on the board a while back, but she had used red sashing around some blocks and blue sashing around alternating blocks. Since the school colors are red, white and blue, I'll use red and blue for the sashings. Not sure about the borders around each block yet. Many of the shirts do not follow the school colors, so I'll have to think out of the box.