Old 08-14-2011, 06:16 PM
NatalieMacDonald

All these tips are good and I agree on them. I read all of them and you will notice one person said to throw out the rules and be creative, and another person said she disagrees...they are both correct, in my experience.

When I first learnt to quilt, it seemed like a lot of things to remember and I guess it was a bit overwhelming. Then, a few years ago I picked up a quilting book and the author explained at the beginning of her book that people have different learning styles. Some of us tend to be more technical, while others are more creative. And we probably or can have a blend of both styles. She wrote and illustrated the book with both types of learning preferences.

What that book did for me was to identify my comfortable learning preference. I can't draw a decent stick figure but I can follow instructions, practice and gain confidence. In life, I'm a rule keeper...not so bad, it probably keeps me out of trouble! But I also appreciate and love the creativity and freedom that other's have in creating their own quilts. Getting out of the "box" is a push for me and is rewarding as well.

In a nutshell: Learn what your own quilting style is.