View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 03:51 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MTS
Thanks for the report and great pictures. Lots and lots of vibrant colors. It looks like a fabulous show.

Is the competition open to all? Or just Europe?

Heide SW had a line of tonals called Color Connectors for Free Spirit years ago. They were the most amazing tonals I've ever seen. I don't know why they didn't continue with them. I'm still guarding the small amount of lime green I have remaining. ;-)

Her hand-dyes are some of the most gorgeous I've ever seen. I can't wait to see what you come up with.
It is open to all - there were quilters there from all over Europe, Russia, Japan, South America, Asia and the States and Canada.

Another artist's work I forgot to mention who really inspired me was Regina Benson, though Lithuanian born, now living and working in the States. http://www.reginabenson.com/index.html She pushes textile manipulation to a whole new level. I had a long chat with her and she was very generous in sharing her techniques and ideas and her work is fabulous - I especially loved the rust-dyed pieces. :-D

I chatted to the lady on the Heide SW stand and asked about mail order in future and she explained that the fabrics vary from dye batch to dye batch so while they can reproduce similar lines, they never exactly repeat themselves. The ones I bought, (folded in the pic) are graduated from selvage to selvage so I can get a lot of variation across the piece - perfect for landscapes as I can fussy cut from where I want. But these pieces were especially dyed for the show. The big piece on the right of the pic is around 5' square and shades through the spectrum - I have it hung in my studio now on skirt hangers so I can gaze at it. :mrgreen: I don't know yet but I'll probably quilt that wholecloth - couldn't bear to cut it! :lol: