Thread: cutting table
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 07:37 AM
Krystyna
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by cindi.thompson
Do you use a normal sewing machine to machine quilt? I'm wanting to do some machine quilting but can't afford to buy a bigger machine for it. Going to try to use my regular machine to do it.
Cindi, I use several machines to quilt. I have a run of the mill Singer with electronic stitches that I bought about five years ago at Kohl's for around $69-79. I sew for a living and believe it or not, this is the one that I use most often. I don't know why.

I also have a Babylock Sofia2 embroidery machine that has stippling and the ability to use a crateload of quilting designs. I haven't used it for that yet. Mostly use it for embroidery on my veils and other products.

My other machines are
(1) an estate sale serger that I use quite often - but until I bought it I had no idea what a serger was or why I'd want one. I use it to piece quicky quilts for my dogs or patio table clothes.
(2) a rather old (1960s?) Tailor Made machine that is actually a Singer made in Poland and sold for use in schools. I use that one when I sew outside.
(3) a 1931 Singer that had a dual treadle/electric option that has no bells, no whistles, but sews like a dream.
(4) a really old and beautiful treadle which is currently in my garage. Shame on me!

So, to answer your question, no you do not need a fancy machine at all. Think about how early quilters did it. Well, those who quilted after the invention of machines. Not fancy at all.