View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 08:25 AM
ShowMama

Originally Posted by judyyoungs
I am curious to know how impartial quilt show judges really are. I would appreciate any and all comments. I ask because I just went to a quilt show and had serious reservations about some of the judging. I understand there are several factors that go into judging (or at least there should be). But when you see 2 or 3 quilts made from the same pattern and the winning ribbon goes to one that is definitely not the best one, it really leaves a sour feeling. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this.
By what criteria would you pick a winning quilt and how did you know which quilt was the "best one"? I ask this not to be mean or confrontational, but to remind you that often what you see and what the judge sees can be quite different.

I am not a judge, but have worked with judges at several quilt shows. Each judge has a set of criteria to consider when viewing a quilt, plus uses her own knowledge and experience during the evaluation. Some judges have specific areas of expertise, such as hand applique or pieced borders, but I have not known one to limit her ratings because her favorite technique wasn't present.

Again, I am not a judge. When I view a quilt, I usually notice colors, patterns, overall design. I don't often notice things that a judge would check.......intersecting seams matching, points crisp, the quilt hanging straight, etc. Things like that could make a difference in a quilt that you feel was the "best" and the one that actually won a ribbon.