Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Show Judges >

Quilt Show Judges

Quilt Show Judges

Old 08-19-2011, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

There is always someone who excels in what they do. Someone has to set the standard of what is excellence for the time. That's just common sense.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:09 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Hinterland
Absolutely!
I consider Sharon's quilts to be beyond my abilities, and I think it's wonderful that she shares her methods with everyone. It's a thrill seeing them.
Janet
Did you see the winner of the longarm award for Paducah 2011?
5th pic down
http://aboutquilts.wordpress.com/201...inners-posted/

Look familiar?

http://www.sharonschamber.com/honors...t_serenade.htm
Winner Houston Best of Show 2005.

So that's the ultimate compliment I guess.
I NEVER thought of the winners at Houston or Paducah as being "patterns" to be duplicated. Where would you even begin?
But apparently this woman is a Sharon acolyte, and has taken every class and seminar possible with her, and decided she wanted a personal challenge - she really loved the quilt.

There's a story posted somewhere about this.

I'm just happy with my kick-a$$ binding. :mrgreen:
Old 08-19-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
I NEVER thought of the winners at Houston or Paducah as being "patterns" to be duplicated. Where would you even begin?
But apparently this woman is a Sharon acolyte, and has taken every class and seminar possible with her, and decided she wanted a personal challenge - she really loved the quilt.
I did see that. Sharon published the pattern in one of her books and AQS is diligent about making sure the quilter has permission to use it.

It's a beautiful quilt, worth seeing again for sure. There's a strong tradition in quiltmaking of using and sharing patterns others designed, and this quilt certainly honors that in a big way. I'm glad she won.

Janet
Old 08-19-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
I'm just happy with my kick-a$$ binding. :mrgreen:
And I'm pea-green with envy! :hunf: Binding is always a sore point with me. But I am getting better.

Janet
Old 08-19-2011, 07:26 AM

I don't think I have enough years left to complete something like the Paisley Peacock or Port of Cassis quilts, lol. Incredible work!
Old 08-19-2011, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace
There are many shows that if the exhibitor(maker) doesn't pay for "judging" then it's not even in the running for a placing or a ribbon. A good percentage of quilts in shows are exhibition only/not judged so aren't even eligible for a prize. Did you know many guilds charge $10 and up per quilt as a judging fee, at the show to pay for the judges? Shows are different around the country, but believe me it can get very expensive if you want your quilt in competition, and there are many people who just want to show and not compete!
This is a great point, and I could see this if they didn't separate the judged quilts from those just being shown :D:D:D
Old 08-19-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by judyyoungs
I am curious to know how impartial quilt show judges really are. I would appreciate any and all comments. I ask because I just went to a quilt show and had serious reservations about some of the judging. I understand there are several factors that go into judging (or at least there should be). But when you see 2 or 3 quilts made from the same pattern and the winning ribbon goes to one that is definitely not the best one, it really leaves a sour feeling. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this.
By what criteria would you pick a winning quilt and how did you know which quilt was the "best one"? I ask this not to be mean or confrontational, but to remind you that often what you see and what the judge sees can be quite different.

I am not a judge, but have worked with judges at several quilt shows. Each judge has a set of criteria to consider when viewing a quilt, plus uses her own knowledge and experience during the evaluation. Some judges have specific areas of expertise, such as hand applique or pieced borders, but I have not known one to limit her ratings because her favorite technique wasn't present.

Again, I am not a judge. When I view a quilt, I usually notice colors, patterns, overall design. I don't often notice things that a judge would check.......intersecting seams matching, points crisp, the quilt hanging straight, etc. Things like that could make a difference in a quilt that you feel was the "best" and the one that actually won a ribbon.