View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Cindy76

Why is it when someone gets divorced they feel they have to give their girlfriends, boyfriends, new wives or new husbands a title along with a name? As a mother and a parent I find it dishonoring to call someone who didn't give birth to anyone of my children, hasn't been there over the years loving and caring for that child, mother or father, a title that should only bestowed to the actual parent. Little children do not sit around and debate what they should call the man or woman dating or married to their parent due to a divorce. They simply look to the adults around them and follow their lead. Becoming a parent to my three children was the greatest gift and honor God could bestow on me, I took that title and responsibility serious and to just toss that name to someone to make that person feel part of a family, boost their ego, gain favor with the person by giving them a title to go with their name waters down the whole honor of becoming a parent and the unique and special privilege God bestowed. While the girlfriend or boyfriend, second wife or second husband may over the years become someone special in the life of the child, calling them by their given name is in no way disrespectful to that relationship. I think the same can be said for calling a non-relative Grandma and Grandpa in what ever form is inappropriate as well. Maybe if society gave the reverence to being given the gift of a having a child and becoming a parent it deserves and stopped dubbing it down by giving out titles so lightly, we would look at the gift of having a child as the miracle and gift from God that it is.