Old 08-23-2011, 11:50 AM
virtualbernie

Originally Posted by Lisa T

The Singer website used to have a page where you could locate your model number and find out what kind of machine it was, but it seems to be a new website and when I put my model number in the search function it says "Not found". The model number is AF685648.

The only way I can see to "make it go" is with the silver colored (aluminum?) L-shaped thing that goes into a little hole in the front of the wood base, which you then push to the side- kind of like a knee pedal, but it's to short to use with your knee... unless you were sewing on a coffee table maybe? I would prefer a foot pedal if they are out there... otherwise will try to get hubby to rig something up to make this silver thing longer. I imagine the silver thing was added somewhere along the way because it has no age marks or discoloration.

There are two plates that slide out, one to the front and one to the back, that allow you to change the bobbin. The bobbin is unusual- it's like a pin, kind of (it's long)- and goes into a little housing that looks kind of like a bullet. That housing moves in a kind of half circle motion when you sew. (Is this a shuttle?) I would like to get a manual and some more bobbins so I can use this baby! Also, I am wondering about adjusting tension and stuff.
You can email them with the serial number and they will get back to you with the Model #

You can probably find a foot pedal and/or better knee press online or ebay

The manual you can still get off the Singer web site. They promise that the Serial Number page is coming back--that they are still working on it... The bobbins can usually be found online too. Hope this helps!