View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 06:25 AM
QuiltMania

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
As a rule, I don't buy fabric from LQS because of price. My budget simply does not allow for fabric that expensive. I will buy fabric wherever I can get the best price, which is usually at Walmart. I know some of you are cringing at the thought of Walmart fabrics, but if you are a careful shopper, you can get some pretty nice fabrics and at a fraction of the price from LQS. My quilts aren't meant to be a "sit pretty" kind of thing. They are to be used, washed and dried, and loved kind of thing. I think each quilt I make gets a little bit nicer in that the points match better, my FMQ is a little smoother, my binding corners are sharper....but....it doesn't make them less loved or used if I only pay $4/yd for the fabric.
I have to agree with Buckeye Rose. You can find very nice fabric in a variety of places without spending the outrageous prices of the LQS. I have a quilt on my bed made from some fabrics from Eleanor Burns' shop in Paducah, from Joann's, from Walmart and some from DH mother and grandmother (which was probably bought at the local dry goods store). I defy anyone to look at it and tell which is which. BTW, the link that was posted doesn't exactly come from an impartial source -- the blogger has a vested interest in claiming that LQS fabrics are superior.