Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why buy fabric from your LQS? >

Why buy fabric from your LQS?

Why buy fabric from your LQS?

Old 08-24-2011, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

I try to buy from our LQS too.....guess I buy from all over though, I just carefully look at all the fabric before I buy it/ make sure it isnt thin, ect.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie
I have found that JoAnn's fabric isn't much cheaper than the LQS fabric, but the quality is very much inferior that the LQS. After spending hours of your time and so much love on a quilt, why use inferior fabric? I do buy supplies and batting at JoAnn's with a coupon . Although I sometime wonder if the batting is the same quality--I use Warm N'Natural for almost everything.
Sue
although I don't buy fabric except for backing/borders, I agree with this. If you had to put a dollar value on your time, you would find that fabric is the least expensive part of your quilt.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:54 AM

If only all LQS shop owners knew the value of a "customer " friendly shop. Not all see this relationship as the cornerstone of their business.
I was a die hard support the LQS ... but that has changed a bit for me. One of the LQS near me is what I refer to as a "wallet hound" ... always trying to get the most $$ for every single time you enter the store. I can appreciate suggestive selling but ... it can get to be offensive... or I get the "good customer upcharge" for services because they think "oh she can afford it"... for services such as longarming or machine cleaning... or everyone elses quilts have priority for LA services even though a time commitment was made ...
I support great customer service be it on line or brick and mortar.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
As a rule, I don't buy fabric from LQS because of price. My budget simply does not allow for fabric that expensive. I will buy fabric wherever I can get the best price, which is usually at Walmart. I know some of you are cringing at the thought of Walmart fabrics, but if you are a careful shopper, you can get some pretty nice fabrics and at a fraction of the price from LQS. My quilts aren't meant to be a "sit pretty" kind of thing. They are to be used, washed and dried, and loved kind of thing. I think each quilt I make gets a little bit nicer in that the points match better, my FMQ is a little smoother, my binding corners are sharper....but....it doesn't make them less loved or used if I only pay $4/yd for the fabric.
I have to agree with Buckeye Rose. You can find very nice fabric in a variety of places without spending the outrageous prices of the LQS. I have a quilt on my bed made from some fabrics from Eleanor Burns' shop in Paducah, from Joann's, from Walmart and some from DH mother and grandmother (which was probably bought at the local dry goods store). I defy anyone to look at it and tell which is which. BTW, the link that was posted doesn't exactly come from an impartial source -- the blogger has a vested interest in claiming that LQS fabrics are superior.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:58 AM

The prices at my LQS are the same or only slightly higher tha JoAnn premium quilt fabric prices. The LQS sells fabric I can't buy at JoAnn or WalMart. Also I love the comeraderie of the LQS. I love that whether I buy a quarter yard or 10 yards, the people are always happy to see me and happy to help. BUT I don't buy all my fabric from the LQS. I buy from JoAnn and WalMart too. I can't afford to not get the biggest bang for my buck.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie
I have found that JoAnn's fabric isn't much cheaper than the LQS fabric, but the quality is very much inferior that the LQS. After spending hours of your time and so much love on a quilt, why use inferior fabric? I do buy supplies and batting at JoAnn's with a coupon . Although I sometime wonder if the batting is the same quality--I use Warm N'Natural for almost everything.
Sue
I use Warm and Natural too, I like the savings with the coupon. I'm sure it's the same Warm and Natural at any source.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltMania
Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
As a rule, I don't buy fabric from LQS because of price. My budget simply does not allow for fabric that expensive. I will buy fabric wherever I can get the best price, which is usually at Walmart. I know some of you are cringing at the thought of Walmart fabrics, but if you are a careful shopper, you can get some pretty nice fabrics and at a fraction of the price from LQS. My quilts aren't meant to be a "sit pretty" kind of thing. They are to be used, washed and dried, and loved kind of thing. I think each quilt I make gets a little bit nicer in that the points match better, my FMQ is a little smoother, my binding corners are sharper....but....it doesn't make them less loved or used if I only pay $4/yd for the fabric.
I have to agree with Buckeye Rose. You can find very nice fabric in a variety of places without spending the outrageous prices of the LQS. I have a quilt on my bed made from some fabrics from Eleanor Burns' shop in Paducah, from Joann's, from Walmart and some from DH mother and grandmother (which was probably bought at the local dry goods store). I defy anyone to look at it and tell which is which. BTW, the link that was posted doesn't exactly come from an impartial source -- the blogger has a vested interest in claiming that LQS fabrics are superior.
I noticed that, but loved the explanation of the fabric, and what "grey" goods are.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:13 AM

I absolutely LOVE shopping or even just browsing in a quilt shoppe, it is one of my favorite things to do when traveling, too. We have a LQS here in our small town that I have tried and tried to become comfortable in and I am just not.

I believe in supporting our local economy and have spent many hard earned and squeezed out of our budget pennies there over several years.

Unfortunately, it is owned by a "Queen Bee" and her daily WannaBees and the atmosphere is so high school that I have opted to just shop online or out of town.

It makes me very sad.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:20 AM

If it wasn't for my LQS I would not be quilting. The class she offered, a beginning "sampler" got me started. I also started the Mariner's Compass which is my Avatar at her store.

She also does a Block of the Month. You pay $5.00 to start, the rest of the months are free, she provides the fabric for the blocks, and the pattern. I go to a monthly meeting (offered 3x a month so it will fit your schedule some how) and show my completed block to her or her assistant and get the materials for the next one.

It is intended to get customers in the store, see what classes are offered, and get us to shop there. She freely admits that.

I like it because I get out of the house, go show how "wonderfully" matched my points (not so wonderfully when I started!) She says she is not the "quilt police" she is just checking if it's done... I get to chat with other wonderful people, aren't people who sew wonderful people?

There is also a "show and tell" and I love seeing what others are doing!

At the end of six months I buy the borders and backing to finish the quilt.

btw there is a drawing for a free yard of material at the BOTM meets, and I won one time!! That was really exciting for me because I've been entering sweepstakes for years, back in the day by snail mail, now daily online.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:55 AM

I went to LQS today to see about renting the LA only to discover that they don't have a LA anymore. And that was the main reason why I went to that shop. But, I still needed some fabrics for a bargello that I haven't been able to find anywhere and was able to get five different 1 yard pieces. Total price - $55, was I able to tell the difference between the other 15 pieces I already had (purchased at Walmart and Joanns)? NO! I all accomplished was getting the last fabrics needed in the right colors, I don't feel like I gained anything in quality.