Old 08-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by ckcowl
I love the bamboo battings- they are a dream to work with- wash up wonderfully- have great drape in the finished product-
hold up for years and years-
my preference over polyester batting (you think the process for bamboo is ...extreme- you aught to check out what goes into making a poly batt!)
bamboo is a renewable source---like cotton and wool- and is a wonderful batt to use.
My problem with bamboo is that the companies selling it tell you it is bamboo. It isn't anymore. It is Rayon. And they tell you it is better for the environment because it is renewable and grows without chemicals. They forget to tell you how harsh the process for turning it into rayon is. Actually, they don't tell you that on purpose! That being said, yes, all batts go through some chemical treatment, either in the field or in the lab to become what we buy. The others just don't lie about it.

There is no such thing as a 100% bamboo batt. It is 100% rayon. The rayon is made from the cellulose of the bamboo culm. And it is silky smooth because it is rayon. Bamboo only splinters when beaten. That would not feel good in a quilt, so they chemically change it to rayon. I love the feel of rayon, just don't lie to me and tell me it is bamboo, still.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-20-2019 at 05:50 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps