Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Talk to me about Bamboo Batting ... Pros?? Cons?? >

Talk to me about Bamboo Batting ... Pros?? Cons??

Talk to me about Bamboo Batting ... Pros?? Cons??

Old 08-28-2011, 09:10 AM

I have used it and I like it. It is very soft but after reading some of the articles on bamboo, I don't know whether I would buy anymore once I finish using all that I have. I really do like Warm & Natural!!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:30 AM

I took the plunge and preshrunk 4 yards of 90" wide Bamboo. It came out nicely, did not fall apart, reduced the fluff and seems like it handles similar to Warm and Natural. I am thinking since I already invested in this that I will use it for the queen-sized quilt as planned.

But, after reading all these posts, I don't think I will purchase it again.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:50 PM

I used bamboo batting in a quilt for my son. It was queen size. I will NOT use it again. It bearded alot. I don't like the feel of it. Although it is very soft, I do not like the drape of the batting when quilted. I prefer using Warm and Natural or Warm and White.

P.s. I shop at Lens as well.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by threads57
I used bamboo batting in a quilt for my son. It was queen size. I will NOT use it again. It bearded alot. I don't like the feel of it. Although it is very soft, I do not like the drape of the batting when quilted. I prefer using Warm and Natural or Warm and White.

P.s. I shop at Lens as well.
I am nosy, sorry. Did you preshrink? Was the quilting by machine or by hand?
Old 08-28-2011, 02:01 PM

While I have tried it once and agree with most everyone's post, my concern has been the combustion of the bamboo batting. Granted the Warm & Natural or Warm & White which I use does catch on fire (like all battings) but it burns at a much lower speed. Call me overly cautious but what do children do in a bad situation? They grab a toy, blankie and hide in the corner. Just my personal thoughts. Bamboo does make a nice quilt.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:19 AM

Default Rayon is the name of a process not a fabric

Originally Posted by Kas View Post
My problem with bamboo is that the companies selling it tell you it is bamboo. It isn't anymore. It is RAYON. And they tell you it is better for the environment because it is renewable and grows without chemicals. They forget to tell you how harsh the process for turning it into rayon is. Actually, they don't tell you that on purpose! That being said, yes, all batts go through some chemical treatment, either in the field or in the lab to become what we buy. The others just don't lie about it.

There is no such thing as a 100% bamboo batt. It is 100% rayon. The rayon is made from the cellulose of the bamboo culm. And it is silky smooth because it is rayon. Bamboo only splinters when beaten. That would not feel good in a quilt, so they chemically change it to rayon. I love the feel of rayon, just don't lie to me and tell me it is bamboo, still.
I would like to gently make a correction here ... The term Rayon is a description of a process that converts cellulose (wood fibers) into fabric. Yes, the bamboo plant is converted to fabric with the same process, but it is not 'rayon' fiber. It would be more accurate to say that what we call Rayon fabric is 'wood fiber fabric' and bamboo fabric is 'bamboo fiber fabric' but all are made through the Rayon process. So bamboo batting is truly 'bamboo'.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-20-2019 at 05:51 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-20-2019, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rthburke View Post
I would like to gently make a correction here ... The term Rayon is a description of a process that converts cellulose (wood fibers) into fabric. Yes, the bamboo plant is converted to fabric with the same process, but it is not 'rayon' fiber. It would be more accurate to say that what we call Rayon fabric is 'wood fiber fabric' and bamboo fabric is 'bamboo fiber fabric' but all are made through the Rayon process. So bamboo batting is truly 'bamboo'.
Ok I'll jump in, even though this discussion is 8 years old.

So if rayon is a "description of a process", then what, exactly, is the fiber content of my 100% rayon blouse?

I think you're missing the point Kas was trying to make, which is that the process of making bamboo batting is extremely environmentally harmful. No need to pick nits about the terminology.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:42 PM

I have only used bamboo batting once, I think it was called Simply Bamboo. Beautiful drape but I'll never use it again. It created a huge amount of fluff and dust and I had to clean my dsm several times just while quilting that one quilt due to all the lint it created. Plus I was sneezing the whole time I used it. I've never had these problems with other battings. I went back to using Hobbs 80/20.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Ok I'll jump in, even though this discussion is 8 years old.............
eeeeeeeeeeks .... now you are making me feel real ooooooold!

Just looked back to see what the original thread was about, and OMG, this was my thread!!
Maybe I should read through the whole thing again? and see what I think about it all today?

Though I will say, I have used bamboo batting a lot since then ... and do like the quilted feel of it!
Old 03-20-2019, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I have now re-read it all! Definitely worth the time I spent.

As above, I have used bamboo batting a lot since starting this thread 8 years ago.

The drape, feel, hand or whatever terminology you want to use is still my biggest attraction to it.
In my experiences, bamboo has been more cuddly than Warm and Natural, or many other types/brands.

I have done heavy quilting as well as minimal, and have not noticed a huge difference in results.
It still has that nice flex-cuddle results.

One quilt in particular has had a lot of washing and still looks and feels great.
Yes, there has been shrinkage, but no worse than many other brands/types of batts.

Bearding while quilting or later has not happened.

Sure there is some fluff and duff as I work with an exposed batt,
but not really any more than other brands/types.

Nor is it any worse for needing to clean my machine. To me, that is just part of the process.

Once finished and bound ... it's all soon forgotten and I love the feel of these quilts!!!