Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Talk to me about Bamboo Batting ... Pros?? Cons?? >

Talk to me about Bamboo Batting ... Pros?? Cons??

Talk to me about Bamboo Batting ... Pros?? Cons??

Old 08-26-2011, 05:45 AM

I used bamboo in a Civil War quilt that I made my husband but he complains that it isn't very warm. I did machine quilt it myself and didn't have any problems with fuzz. I have to say though that he likes LOTS of blankets piled on rather than an electric blanket that doesn't have much weight. I guess I'm saying that he probably isn't a good judge. ;-)
Old 08-26-2011, 06:08 AM

you asked..i love bamboo batting, its a lot softer and lighter than cotton batting, yes it is more expensive, but its so worth it, its 100% hypoallergenic and, i have used the one with half cotton half bamboo. and ive got to tell you, it does shrink like cotton, but bamboo gets my vote!!
good luck
katz
Old 08-26-2011, 07:17 AM

Haven't used bamboo for batting because of the expense. But I Love bamboo yarn for knitting scarfs. So soft. I bought it because of the feel not the environment.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-20-2019 at 05:49 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-26-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Thusnelda
I know I read a lenghty review on a website recently discussing the huge amount of chemicals needed to make the bamboo so soft. So while you think you get a natural product it's actually been through so many processes that there is nothing natural about it anymore.

I will go look for the link.
I read the same thing.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:36 AM

Thank you for the information!!
Originally Posted by Thusnelda
Here's the other link:
http://www.seamstobeyouandme.com/wor...amboo-batting/

Peckish posted it originally, she did some research on it and might be the best person to respond.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by ckcowl
I love the bamboo battings- they are a dream to work with- wash up wonderfully- have great drape in the finished product-
hold up for years and years-
my preference over polyester batting (you think the process for bamboo is ...extreme- you aught to check out what goes into making a poly batt!)
bamboo is a renewable source---like cotton and wool- and is a wonderful batt to use.
My problem with bamboo is that the companies selling it tell you it is bamboo. It isn't anymore. It is Rayon. And they tell you it is better for the environment because it is renewable and grows without chemicals. They forget to tell you how harsh the process for turning it into rayon is. Actually, they don't tell you that on purpose! That being said, yes, all batts go through some chemical treatment, either in the field or in the lab to become what we buy. The others just don't lie about it.

There is no such thing as a 100% bamboo batt. It is 100% rayon. The rayon is made from the cellulose of the bamboo culm. And it is silky smooth because it is rayon. Bamboo only splinters when beaten. That would not feel good in a quilt, so they chemically change it to rayon. I love the feel of rayon, just don't lie to me and tell me it is bamboo, still.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-20-2019 at 05:50 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-26-2011, 10:07 AM

Hmmm. I will be watching this post and soaking up all the information!! I just bought enough 50% bamboo (or rayon apparently) and 50% cotton for a king size quilt. Shrinkage is supposed to be 2-3% so I am thinking I might try preshrinking it. The store where I purchased it said they had no feedback on how well it worked and wanted me to come back in when finished. They had a 40% off sale, so that is why I was willing to try it. I looked online at the site given on the tag for information and nothing was said about lint, fibers, etc. It did say that it didn't beard.

I would hate to waste the irreplaceable fabrics used in this king size top so I hope someone that has made a large quilt and later washed it gives us more feedback on how it holds up, washes, etc.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:30 AM

This subject is so like I love this site....you can learn so much, and even be a little confused like I am now, should I use some bamboo batting or not, lol. I shall continue to follow this thread, great comments, thanks so much.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

Thanks everyone ... lots of input and food for thought!
Am I the wiser? or more confuzzled?
Not sure!! :lol:
Old 08-26-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by katz_n_kwiltz
you asked..i love bamboo batting, its a lot softer and lighter than cotton batting, yes it is more expensive, but its so worth it, its 100% hypoallergenic and, i have used the one with half cotton half bamboo. and ive got to tell you, it does shrink like cotton, but bamboo gets my vote!!
good luck
katz
Did you wash your quilt after it was made yet?