Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Talk to me about Bamboo Batting ... Pros?? Cons?? >

Talk to me about Bamboo Batting ... Pros?? Cons??

Talk to me about Bamboo Batting ... Pros?? Cons??

Old 08-26-2011, 02:48 AM

I like using it
Old 08-26-2011, 03:04 AM

I used it in a king size for my son. I thought it was wonderful. I just bought another bat this one is part organic cotton. I will have to see if I like it as well.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:48 AM

I purchased about 3 bags of Bamboo filling. Put it into a pillow and when I went to wash and dry the pillow it was very lumpy, I had the pillow in the dryer for 2 days (thinking something was wrong with my dryer) after 2 days still was not dry. Finally had to sit the pillow outside into the sun to get it dry. Once it was dry I opened the pillow and took the Bamboo filling out. It is still lumpy, I am going to have to sit here and pull it apart to make it nice and soft again.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:05 AM

I quilt using my sewing machine and used it for a twin size quilt. I personally will never use it again. It drops fibers horribly with handling. I sneezed the whole time I quilted and fibers covered my room. It hasn't bearded yet. The quilt is very cuddly. LA quilting wouldn't be as bad maybe. It sounded like a good idea at the time;0)
Old 08-26-2011, 04:58 AM

It is said to shrink a lot so pre-wash. I have some ready to use in a baby quilt.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by verna2197
I purchased about 3 bags of Bamboo filling. Put it into a pillow and when I went to wash and dry the pillow it was very lumpy, I had the pillow in the dryer for 2 days (thinking something was wrong with my dryer) after 2 days still was not dry. Finally had to sit the pillow outside into the sun to get it dry. Once it was dry I opened the pillow and took the Bamboo filling out. It is still lumpy, I am going to have to sit here and pull it apart to make it nice and soft again.
Being that I started this thread to ask the questions, maybe I shouldn't comment ...
Was it designed to be used as a pillow filling and then tossed as is into the washer/dryer? I would be dubious that would work out any better than you said it has, as I would about most fillings.

I'm thinking the difference as a batting would be that it would be quilted to be stabilized, plus of course, preventing a large mass in one place, as would be in a pillow.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charquilter
I quilt using my sewing machine and used it for a twin size quilt. I personally will never use it again. It drops fibers horribly with handling. I sneezed the whole time I quilted and fibers covered my room. It hasn't bearded yet. The quilt is very cuddly. LA quilting wouldn't be as bad maybe. It sounded like a good idea at the time;0)
Have others had this experience ... of the dropped fibres? and sensitivities?
Old 08-26-2011, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Limey
It is said to shrink a lot so pre-wash. I have some ready to use in a baby quilt.
Interesting ....... in the store I was told that shrinkage was not a problem.

Perhaps others would comment on the shrinkage issue?
Old 08-26-2011, 05:24 AM

I've used 100% bamboo batting in the past. I did not think that it shrunk anymore than cotton does and it could have actually been the fabric that shrunk a little over the batting since I do not make a practice of washing all my fabrics before use.

It did get some fuzz on the other edges of the quilt top and backing as I worked since I start in the center when hand quilting. Once the quilt was complete and had gone through the washer and dryer it was clear of all fuzz.

My daughter just love the quilt I made. She said it is light weight to sleep under but very warm.

I figure that there are chemicals of some kind on every textile we buy to make quilts and feel good enough that they are mostly removed once washed.

Bamboo batting is the nicest batting I have ever used as far as hand quilting goes. The needle just glides through it. I haven't had a chance to try it on my long arm yet. Bamboo batting is very difficult to find in my area of the country. Next time I need to order, I will order a roll of bamboo and give it a whirl on the long arm.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:28 AM

I also read about how it's not very eco-friendly at all when it comes to the processing of it. I'll stick with good old wool or cotton.