Old 03-20-2019, 04:19 AM
Rthburke

Default Rayon is the name of a process not a fabric

Originally Posted by Kas View Post
My problem with bamboo is that the companies selling it tell you it is bamboo. It isn't anymore. It is RAYON. And they tell you it is better for the environment because it is renewable and grows without chemicals. They forget to tell you how harsh the process for turning it into rayon is. Actually, they don't tell you that on purpose! That being said, yes, all batts go through some chemical treatment, either in the field or in the lab to become what we buy. The others just don't lie about it.

There is no such thing as a 100% bamboo batt. It is 100% rayon. The rayon is made from the cellulose of the bamboo culm. And it is silky smooth because it is rayon. Bamboo only splinters when beaten. That would not feel good in a quilt, so they chemically change it to rayon. I love the feel of rayon, just don't lie to me and tell me it is bamboo, still.
I would like to gently make a correction here ... The term Rayon is a description of a process that converts cellulose (wood fibers) into fabric. Yes, the bamboo plant is converted to fabric with the same process, but it is not 'rayon' fiber. It would be more accurate to say that what we call Rayon fabric is 'wood fiber fabric' and bamboo fabric is 'bamboo fiber fabric' but all are made through the Rayon process. So bamboo batting is truly 'bamboo'.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-20-2019 at 05:51 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps