View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 11:13 AM
gaevren

Originally Posted by bjeriann
I don't understand why people use the reserve price. Why not figure what the lowest $ you will take and add the cost of shipping to the price (offering free shipping). There has been things I wanted but if no one else bids I couldn't get my bid to go up to the reserve price. So if you wanted $40. for the item and $40. for shipping - ask $80. w/ free shipping.

Originally Posted by bookworm
If you bid the reserve price it will automatically go up to it. And because I've tried the way you suggest and not gotten any bids + paid more ebay fees for the higher starting price
Exactly. The reserve price is meant to protect both the seller and the buyer. It saves the seller on higher listing fees, and the buyer can still tell if the item will be beyond what they want to pay.

In an ebay auction, the best thing to do in all situations is think about the MAXIMUM you would pay for an item. Bid that amount. If there is a reserve, and your maximum bid doesn't meet the reserve, just move on- clearly they are asking more than you think the item is worth.

If there is no reserve or it has been met, having your maximum bid in there serves as an "autobid" function, so it'll continue to bid for you if other people are bidding, all the way up to your max bid. Again, if you lose out on the item no worries- it went for more than you were willing to pay! :)