View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 05:21 PM
IBQLTN

Originally Posted by luckylindy333
Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
My daughter said that my grandson, who is just over 3 mos, is starting to want to hold something to snuggle with. She asked if I could make something small for him to Snuggle with. What do you think would be a good size. I have started with a soft flannel, making it a raggie, and my blocks are 6 1/2" unfinished. I will use a 1/2" seam and then rag them. If I go with 3 x 4 setting it will be approximately 16 1/2" x 21". Do you think that is a good size??? Should I make it a 4 x4 setting to be 21" square or go bigger with a 4 x 5 setting to be 21" x 26"ish???
I think your sizes sound OK, but I kind of question the raggy part. I think it would be better for a baby to have the seams emclosed so there will be no extra threads hanging about for him to inhale. I just remember my brother getting brochitis from inhaling a fabric scrap from a blanket when he was a baby. What a nice idea, the snuggly!
I too would be leary of rag quilts for a little one. I have to wash from my elbow's down, wash my face, especilly around my nose. I am very allergic to this kind of 'fuz'. Baby might be too, although if you make it out of flannels instead of homespuns, you might be okay.