Old 08-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Lisanne

I'm about 35 miles west of Philly, and I too was having trouble getting local info. TV is definitely better for that than the Internet.

On Thursday afternoon, someone told me we were in a high danger zone, but I think that's been downgraded. We're 40 miles west of the ocean, after all. I think it will just be lots of rain and high winds. The Schuylkill River will flood, but I'm at least a few miles away, so I don't expect it to be a problem for me. (How many miles would a flooding river affect?) My main concern is the power going out.

I stocked up yesterday on fresh foods (fruits and salad-type veggies that don't have to be cooked and can survive for a while if the power goes out), a few canned goods to make if I don't want to go out and do have power, 4 gallons of bottled water, and various foods at risk of spoiling if we lose power. Also filled the car's gas tank.

Because I thought it was supposed to hit this afternoon, I stayed in. Got cabin fever around dinnertime and peeked out, and it's not bad at all - rainy and a bit of wind, but in ordinary amounts. So I thought about driving to get some takeout - apparently many others are doing the same thing. I called around. Most restaurants are open. I found a Chinese place I never knew was there and called. The guy mentioned they deliver - yippee!!! I ordered enough for today and tomorrow. LOL, much happier with Chinese food than beans and salad.

The rain and winds are supposed to be all over here by tomorrow night. Flooding will continue.

I've run into a number of Jersey shore evacuees, also people who were traveling back here from elsewhere, just to get home before the storm really hits. Amazingly, some of the people from the Jersey shore are actually complaining about being made to leave. Not teen surfers who don't know any better, but parents of kids and older people, who should understand the risk.

Hope everyone stays safe.