Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hurricane update up and down the east coast!

now, while most are focusing on the shore, which they should be, I'm having a hard time finding info about what's gonna happen where I am. Now, we're only supposed to get 3-6 or 6-12 inches of rain depending on which station you watch and about 50mph winds. And it's supposed to hit hit us tonight about midnight, but we've been having rain since about 3 today. Our area has a lot of streams, rivers, creeks so they will be flooded due to the rain. I'm mostly worried for the large tree next door that's quite old, and has the wind blowing directly toward our house and my bedroom.

I know my room will be rocking tonight (balloon construction, house was built during the civil war) and I'm in the third floor. I'm hoping we won't loose power, but am prepared just in case.

What's all going on for everyone else on the east coast?? I'm in the Lehigh valley pa (by allentown)

[img]http://www.henisetire.com/images/map.gif[/img]

Blog Entries
    Be careful and hope all goes well for the entire East coast.

Seems hard to believe that you are having such bad stormswhen I'm sitting enjoying the sun. Please be assured that although the sun is lovely you have all my prayers that you stay safe through all of this. Seems like mother nature is he'll bent on letting everyone feel her fury this year.

Blog Entries
    Everyone, be safe during the storm

I'm in southeast PA & our local news has been preaching all day to know where your trees are & sleep elsewhere if a large tree is near your bedroom. Our ground is saturated & 9-12" to come overnight. Power outages are pretty much guaranteed somewhere in the middle of the night. VA is loosing power now as winds are over 70mi/hr.

I'm about 35 miles west of Philly, and I too was having trouble getting local info. TV is definitely better for that than the Internet.

On Thursday afternoon, someone told me we were in a high danger zone, but I think that's been downgraded. We're 40 miles west of the ocean, after all. I think it will just be lots of rain and high winds. The Schuylkill River will flood, but I'm at least a few miles away, so I don't expect it to be a problem for me. (How many miles would a flooding river affect?) My main concern is the power going out.

I stocked up yesterday on fresh foods (fruits and salad-type veggies that don't have to be cooked and can survive for a while if the power goes out), a few canned goods to make if I don't want to go out and do have power, 4 gallons of bottled water, and various foods at risk of spoiling if we lose power. Also filled the car's gas tank.

Because I thought it was supposed to hit this afternoon, I stayed in. Got cabin fever around dinnertime and peeked out, and it's not bad at all - rainy and a bit of wind, but in ordinary amounts. So I thought about driving to get some takeout - apparently many others are doing the same thing. I called around. Most restaurants are open. I found a Chinese place I never knew was there and called. The guy mentioned they deliver - yippee!!! I ordered enough for today and tomorrow. LOL, much happier with Chinese food than beans and salad.

The rain and winds are supposed to be all over here by tomorrow night. Flooding will continue.

I've run into a number of Jersey shore evacuees, also people who were traveling back here from elsewhere, just to get home before the storm really hits. Amazingly, some of the people from the Jersey shore are actually complaining about being made to leave. Not teen surfers who don't know any better, but parents of kids and older people, who should understand the risk.

Hope everyone stays safe.

I'm north of Philadelphia & our local news & the weather channel both added putting zip lock bags filled with water in the freezer. I always keep a few bottles of water in the freezer, but started adding more bottles & zip lock bags of ice cubes stuffed everywhere I could. It dropped my freezer to -4 & things will stay cold longer when we loose power tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisanne
    I'm about 35 miles west of Philly, and I too was having trouble getting local info. TV is definitely better for that than the Internet.

On Thursday afternoon, someone told me we were in a high danger zone, but I think that's been downgraded. We're 40 miles west of the ocean, after all. I think it will just be lots of rain and high winds. The Schuylkill River will flood, but I'm at least a few miles away, so I don't expect it to be a problem for me. (How many miles would a flooding river affect?) My main concern is the power going out.

I stocked up yesterday on fresh foods (fruits and salad-type veggies that don't have to be cooked and can survive for a while if the power goes out), a few canned goods to make if I don't want to go out and do have power, 4 gallons of bottled water, and various foods at risk of spoiling if we lose power. Also filled the car's gas tank.

Because I thought it was supposed to hit this afternoon, I stayed in. Got cabin fever around dinnertime and peeked out, and it's not bad at all - rainy and a bit of wind, but in ordinary amounts. So I thought about driving to get some takeout - apparently many others are doing the same thing. I called around. Most restaurants are open. I found a Chinese place I never knew was there and called. The guy mentioned they deliver - yippee!!! I ordered enough for today and tomorrow. LOL, much happier with Chinese food than beans and salad.

The rain and winds are supposed to be all over here by tomorrow night. Flooding will continue.

I've run into a number of Jersey shore evacuees, also people who were traveling back here from elsewhere, just to get home before the storm really hits. Amazingly, some of the people from the Jersey shore are actually complaining about being made to leave. Not teen surfers who don't know any better, but parents of kids and older people, who should understand the risk.

Hope everyone stays safe.

Hope there isn't any major problems in your area as my granddaughter arrived there last week for classes at De Salle.

TV coverage is driving most people crazy, they keep repeating the same stuff but mostly not what we tuned in to hear. As for my area in Jersey, I live closer to the bay than the ocean but not in an area that has ever flooded in the 51 years we've lived in this house. My township diid request one area (West Keansburg) residents to evacuate because it is in a low lying area, close to the water and a lake and almost always has flooding during storms. Low lying areas in Keyport, Keansburg, Union Beach and all the way down through The Shore have been evacuated by noon today.

Hope everyone is safe.

Blog Entries
    I hope you come through the storm okay and there is no major damage. Be safe.

Blog Entries
    It's 8:45 pm in Washington,DC and still leight to medium rain. Still no wind but they are telling us we will be hit around midnight till 7 am. Friends in Richmond, VA about same but no electric. We are 40 miles to the Bay. We always lose our electric. So today, I did the laundry, baked a ham to nibble on tomorrow, made 12 1/2 pints of peach jam. So if the electric goes, I have everything covered for awhile. Oh yes, the waterfront is flooding. So far, so good.

We have had rain on and off all day, sometimes heavy. We just started to hear wind with heavy rain. So, I think it is beginning. Now we are supposed to have winds between 55 and 70 MPH, and between 6 - 10 inches of rain.

Blog Entries
    I live in Johnstown, PA, which is south eastern PA and Irene has just shown her face here with winds & rain around 8pm & is suppose to continue till 6am tomorrow. So she had enough speed in her to make it over the mountain ridges. My area has to watch for flooding. Johnstown is like New Orleans its a basin surrounded by mountain ridges so once a storm comes over one side of the mountians it circles, either fizzes out or gains speed and gets over the side of the mountain ridge. It's now 9:30 pm and the rain is moderate and becomes heavy downpours at time. Can't imagine what beating the coastal ppl got! Sending prayers to all eastern states! Stay safe!

Don't forget to fill the bathtub with water to flush toilets in case water goes out which doesn't often happen in town.

Prayers for all of you

Tornadoes have formed in the NJ/DE/PA area. I was watching KYW's ongoing weather coverage, and that was interrupted to announce the tornado warnings. The one for my area has ended, but the tornado watch continues until morning.

The prudent thing would be to stay awake, but I'm heading to bed. I have the bedroom windows open a few inches, because I love the fresh air this is stirring up.

Blog Entries
    (`v)
    `*..*
    . .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥this heart prayer balloon for all the families along the Eastern coast of the US as they get ready for hurricane Irene!! God bless & keep them all safe!!! Please stay safe my dear friends , ~*♥♥*~

Blog Entries
    prayers to all in irenes path

ALL PLEASE BE SAFE......

I am sitting here in Sydney Australia watching the coverage on TV. Prayers are with you all - stay safe
    Colleen

we're safe, power is out as of about 1 last night. I'm running on a lap top battery and have no idea where my internet connection is coming from as our internet was knocked out. still raining, and the tree is still standing. i'll check back in later to see about everyone else

' was just wondering about Pennsylvania. Glad to hear you are all safe. Isn't that where "Kate Plus 8" lives? Wow - I bet they are scared.

our power just came back on about 20 minutes ago, the tv is back on so my brother is happy. but the sump pump is working but the phone is still out and cell phone is very touchy. um, it started raining again and now the wind is picking up a lot so the power may go back out. hope to hear from others soon!

Sunday morning. Still with my brother about 20 miles inland in south jersey. No damage here no power either although my brother has an RV and is using the generator in it to run the fridge. Just heard from a family friend that my moms place ( she is here too) seems to be ok. Tree limbs down but no damage to the house. They never lost power in that area. Now just hoping my place is ok. May go scouting this afternoon. It's still pretty windy and a slight drizzle but otherwise things are looking up. Hope everyone else in the path of the storm is ok.

It's raining like crazy here and we have a little flooding in the basement/garage. Could be a lot worse.

No power loss here, no real problems. It's still raining, but normally. Irene has moved on to New England - wishing all of you up there stay safe!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast