Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Hurricane on East Coast in USA (August 2011) (9 Million People) Everyone be safe!

  1. #1
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,668
    Blog Entries
    194
    Everyone be safe

    tracking Hurricane Irene

    http://www.stormpulse.com/atlantic

    Survival: 3 days of water, 3 days of food, get your medicines, cash,

    If they tell you to evacuate, please do.

    I am scared to death for all of you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Super Member SuziC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    3,711
    I am with you Craftbear! I am inland far enough but i am worried about all those on the coast. I have family in Philly that are getting "ready" What a week-end this will be!!!!

  3. #3
    Super Member greenini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    1,552
    Blog Entries
    16
    see Irene from the space station..she's a big girl!
    http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/20...e%20map&st=cse

  4. #4
    Super Member jrhboxers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lexington Park, Maryland
    Posts
    1,143
    After living in North Carolina for 4.5 years and only have one 'hurricane' hit us - Hannah which downgraded to a tropical storm as it made land fall - now we are in for a rough ride with Ilene here in Maryland. We are currently under a Hurricane WARNING. They are telling us to expect 8-15 inches of rain in 18 hrs and SUSTAINED winds of 70mph for 2-3 hours.

    Okay, after the earthquake on Tuesday and now this, I REALLY want to move back to plain, old, boring Indiana. I can handle the occasional tornadoes and such. But this week and going weekend really sucks.

  5. #5
    Super Member jrhboxers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lexington Park, Maryland
    Posts
    1,143
    Sorry - duplicate post.

  6. #6
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,668
    Blog Entries
    194
    wow, that is cool, thanks for sharing with us

    Quote Originally Posted by greenini
    see Irene from the space station..she's a big girl!
    http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/20...e%20map&st=cse

  7. #7
    Super Member needles3thread's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,362
    Let's all pray that Hurricane Irene will 'fizzle out' before reaching land or turn back out to sea.

  8. #8
    Swap Hosts Krystyna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    8,836
    Blog Entries
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by greenini
    see Irene from the space station..she's a big girl!
    http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/20...e%20map&st=cse
    I can't look. She'll be here soon enough.

  9. #9
    Super Member great aunt jacqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    new hampshire
    Posts
    1,569
    We worry for our family on the south shore of MA. Up here in NH we will still get hit on the southwest of the state unless it veers away. We are ready. Just one more trip to the market for cabin fever food tomorrow.LOL
    Be safe everyone, be prepared.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Donna H-M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    682
    Thanks CraftyBear !!!

  11. #11
    Super Member quiltinggirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    4,101
    I pray everyone is kept safe from this storm!!

  12. #12
    Power Poster blueangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    20,481
    Stay safe

  13. #13
    Swap Hosts Krystyna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    8,836
    Blog Entries
    23
    Just found out we are under mandatory evacuation by 5pm tomorrow. :shock: Bye!

  14. #14
    Super Member JulieR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Emmitsburg, MD
    Posts
    1,624
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhboxers
    After living in North Carolina for 4.5 years and only have one 'hurricane' hit us - Hannah which downgraded to a tropical storm as it made land fall - now we are in for a rough ride with Ilene here in Maryland. We are currently under a Hurricane WARNING. They are telling us to expect 8-15 inches of rain in 18 hrs and SUSTAINED winds of 70mph for 2-3 hours.

    Okay, after the earthquake on Tuesday and now this, I REALLY want to move back to plain, old, boring Indiana. I can handle the occasional tornadoes and such. But this week and going weekend really sucks.
    LOL Yeah, but in all the years I've lived in MD we've had just a few serious weather events. But I think where I grew up in IN got hit by tornadoes every year.

    We just aren't used to this crazy earthquake and hurricane stuff! Stay safe!

  15. #15
    Super Member JulieR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Emmitsburg, MD
    Posts
    1,624
    Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna
    Just found out we are under mandatory evacuation by 5pm tomorrow. :shock: Bye!
    Oh no, take care!!

  16. #16
    Senior Member quiltnmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New Bern, NC
    Posts
    517
    Thanks Craftybear and everyone! I've been off the board for quite a while. But I am very much in the direct path. When you are watching TV and see the reporting from Atlantic Beach, NC... well, I'm an hour from there. That's "our beach" so to speak. This isn't my first hurricane but this one is large an a lot of rain. Me, my daughter and dog went to my parents, my husband is the safety office at the hospital so he is earning his keep this weekend. We went to my parents because our house sometimes gets cut office because of flooding on the roadways. And my parents rarely lose power so I like all the comforts of home. I appreciate all the prayers for everyone affected.

  17. #17
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,668
    Blog Entries
    194
    take care and be safe

    Quote Originally Posted by quiltnmom
    Thanks Craftybear and everyone! I've been off the board for quite a while. But I am very much in the direct path. When you are watching TV and see the reporting from Atlantic Beach, NC... well, I'm an hour from there. That's "our beach" so to speak. This isn't my first hurricane but this one is large an a lot of rain. Me, my daughter and dog went to my parents, my husband is the safety office at the hospital so he is earning his keep this weekend. We went to my parents because our house sometimes gets cut office because of flooding on the roadways. And my parents rarely lose power so I like all the comforts of home. I appreciate all the prayers for everyone affected.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Eastern North Dakota
    Posts
    117
    Stay safe out there!

  19. #19
    Senior Member shirley35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Marion, Iowa
    Posts
    518
    Blog Entries
    2
    Prayers and stay well wishes.

  20. #20
    Super Member OmaForFour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,385
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thank you Crafty Bear! I have never looked at stormpulse before. If it is correct, I am in much better shape here than I thought as the cone in the picture just misses us by going west of us.

    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    Everyone be safe

    tracking Hurricane Irene

    http://www.stormpulse.com/atlantic

    Survival: 3 days of water, 3 days of food, get your medicines, cash,

    If they tell you to evacuate, please do.

    I am scared to death for all of you.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Greyhound Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rutland,Ma
    Posts
    304
    Blog Entries
    24
    Thank you for thinking of us in the east. we are very concerned, worried about flooding (esp. in my sewing room!)

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Saugus, MA
    Posts
    665
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thank you to all who have thought of us here on the east coast. The man upstairs is still in charge. Prayers to all my neighbors here on the east coast.

  23. #23
    Junior Member SSTeacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, VA
    Posts
    182
    Thanks to all of you who prayed for us. We live "in the woods" in Newport News, VA (between Williamsburg and Norfolk) and have many, many trees all around our home. The Lord was so gracious in that none came down on our home--just a lot of debris. Basically, God did some pruning to our trees. There were quite a few huge trees that fell but only one went on a neighbors home and the damage was minimal--no one injured. Some that went down would have crushed the homes.

    We lost power on Saturday at 12:30 PM and it was restored at 6 PM on Monday. We have a generator and although it was a little warm, we had many conveniences because of the generator (lights, cooking, TV, washer). During Isabel, we were without power for 11 days.

    There was a wonderful Ohio-based power company that came to our area and restored our power where we live. There are only about 30 homes back in a wooded area and we are always the last to get power--not so in this storm. Thank you again to all of you "quilters" who prayed. It is just so wonderful having a "quilting family."

    Thank you, too, Crafty Bear, for all the great sites you continue to share.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.