Old 08-28-2011, 12:22 PM
GailG

Originally Posted by lovingmama
Have you ever thrown a quilt away?

Unlike my nature I have. Honestly this is really not me, but I did!

Went to a quilters retreat and used my favorite fabric for a mystery quilt. ( I didn't had a lot of it, but for this project, enough).

I haven't seen this fabric anywhere either, must be a very old, but beautiful fabric. I'm always on the look out for it, but no luck.

I chose all the other colors from this fabric, it was a wonderful combination. (So in my opinion, nothing could go wrong).

The nature of the mystery, it's a mystery!

It came out, that all the other fabric where more dominant than my main fabric. (My favorite). My main fabric was seen only in small areas, which really ticked me off. Urgh!

What made it even more upsetting the instructor knew which one of the fabrics, I wanted to show off more. She didn't say anything, just smiled.

Looking at the finished top, I almost cried. (Which isn't me either)!

Even though I really didn't like it at all. I did started quilting it at home, but never finished it. Every time I looked at it, it made me upset. So it went in to the back corner of my closet and lay there for many years.

Until two years ago, I just threw it away! Couldn't even give it to someone else, because it still made me upset.

So now you can call the quilt police on me. I'm guilty as charged and confess to my crime. :oops:

Do I regret doing it? No way! :P

So what is the lesson I've learned? Don't do a mystery? No!
Just don't use your favorite fabric until you know what it will look like! :thumbup:
For me the lesson to be learned is choose an instructor who will be more honest with you. If she knew how much you wanted that fabric focused, she could have guided you on your choices. If she smiled, she KNEW you would be surprised. What a disappointment. I'm so sorry this happened to you. One of these days, you will find a fabric that you really like and then you can make something totally of your choices.