View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 04:15 AM
FirstQuilt

On Sep26,10 16:40:18 Lostn51 posted

BoJangles wrote:
Beth, I also have a Singer Treadle that says "Patented Aug 2nd 92." That is 1892. Mine has the serial number 3171412, which would make my machine 1879 by Singer lists. This machine is actually a Singer 9W, which is a Wheeler & Wilson machine. Singer took over Wheeler and Wilson around 1905 and until about 1910 they used Wheeler and Wilson parts -- until the Wheeler and Wilson parts were used up, to make the machines. That is why the serial numbers are so confusing -- those are Wheeler and Wilson serial numbers not Singer.

I bet if you post a picture of your machine you will find that it is a Singer 9W like mine!

Oh and the belts are very easy to come by from most sewing machine shops or order from Billy, who heads this forum.

Nancy

Nancy you might be on to something there. I thought about it being a 9W after I hit submit.

We need to do a survey of the W9's that we know about and we can date them from a known machine. I know for a fact that mine is a 1910 (I forgot the month now) but if we can get enough numbers together and I can find the production numbers for the W9 then we might can build us a good reliable data base to work from.

Billy

“Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.”
Philippians 4:6

http://lostn51-vintagesewingmachineshop.blogspot.com/