Old 09-01-2011, 04:28 AM
charity-crafter

Originally Posted by Selena
Yes, I did try to justify it. That's my point, why did I feel the need to? He said I could have it if I wanted it. I bought it used and paid cash. It didn't put us in a bind until he lost his job 2 weeks later which no one could have foreseen. I have wanted to quilt for over 30 years and was busy.... He can't help that he doesn't get it.
I think it comes back to women tend to put the family first, and feel guilty when we do something for ourselves. Maybe it's ingrained into our DNA. I don't know. I feel guilty when I splurge on myself, like I shouldn't spend money just for me. One part of me feels like, "hey, I work, it's my money too. I can spend some the way I want to." and the other side is saying "yes, but we have to save for an emergency, retirement, what if one of us loses our job? we have to prepared."

So many of us know people who have been unemployed for months if not years. I have a couple friends in their late 50's who have decided to call it early retirement because they just can't find a job.

So I find it hard to justify spending big chunks of money on something only I will enjoy. My goal in life is to get my dh interested in quilting/sewing. I bet he'd be good, he has an eye for color and design.