View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 09:37 AM
gaigai
Banned

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
Hmmm... that made me think of something. If the bias strips are sewn right sides out and ironed with the bars, I could put a very thin strip of fusible down the back side of them, iron them on, and the top layer wouldn't be "stuck" to the background. It would hold them in place while doing the hand stitching with no pins. Come to think of it, I could do the same with other pieces. Cut very thin stips of the interfacing, even just little dots with a hole punch, and stick them to the turned under seam allowance of a piece. Peel off the paper, iron them in place, then hand sew them on.

I'll try it.

I was watching the binding video that KLue had posted in another thread, the one by the quillter who enters juried competitions, and she uses elmers school glue to secure the binding without pins prior to handstitching. I've tried it on the blocks I'm making for the B&W exchange (if I ever get to fininsh them), which is a faux cathedral window. It was a pain trying to sew around all the pins. The glue works great, there are no pins, and since it is just starch and water, will wash out without problems. And it isn't stiff. In the future, I'm going to use glue instead of pins where ever I can! And its faster, easier and certainly cheaper than fusible!

Thank you Klue!!!